Hi Everyone, total newbie here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperbrew

Reaction score
Hello to you all

Im a new member and Live in Spain and its just got cool enough to start brewing at a resonable temp for fermentation.

I need some advise though as this is my first all grain brew and i hope you can teach me a few things here.

Im going to try an English bitter i have the following ingredients.(this is only ingredients they had at my local brew shop so had to compromise and use what i could get)

6.6lb of maris otter
Simpsons Crystal medium 500g
Simpsons Chocolat 500g
Fuggles 50g
Yeast is Lallemand London 11g

I want to make 12 litres so i guess i need 18 litres of water, could you all advise me how much of each ingredient to be added and at what time during mash or boil would you recomend it to go in any advise or tips would be very helpfull as its my first time having a go at all grain. Also if i have missed out anything thats needed plese HELP.

Regards to you all and hope to learn alot from this forum.

Carl

Hello and welcome first of all it may be worth checking out this thread

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/
You absolutely can make a decent beer with the ingredient’s you have listed, everyone has their preferred recipe for bitter but personally I go for about 95% Pale Malt and 5% Crystal.

So when I want to make an 11L batch I use 1.9KG of Pale Malt and .1KG of Crystal my efficiency these days is about 70% (not great but I have gotten to the point of it being fairly consistant) so this gives me a 1.040 OG and assuming it ferments out to about 1.009 a 4% beer. If I’m being honest it is fairly likely that your first batch may have a lower efficency so you may want to consider increasing the amount of pale malt a bit.

Personally I would keep your hop additions simple maybe the bulk of them say 30g at the start and add the remaining 20g for the last five minutes.

Hello and welcome first of all it may be worth checking out this thread

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/have-a-go-at-simple-ag.51779/
You absolutely can make a decent beer with the ingredient’s you have listed, everyone has their preferred recipe for bitter but personally I go for about 95% Pale Malt and 5% Crystal.

So when I want to make an 11L batch I use 1.9KG of Pale Malt and .1KG of Crystal my efficiency these days is about 70% (not great but I have gotten to the point of it being fairly consistant) so this gives me a 1.040 OG and assuming it ferments out to about 1.009 a 4% beer. If I’m being honest it is fairly likely that your first batch may have a lower efficency so you may want to consider increasing the amount of pale malt a bit.

Personally I would keep your hop additions simple maybe the bulk of them say 30g at the start and add the remaining 20g for the last five minutes.
5% crystal and you say 1kg of it. ,,Am I missing something

Latest posts

Back