Sodium Chloride

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just had the results of a water analysis back from Murphy and Sons and they've recommended adding Sodium Chloride to dark beers but I can't seem to find out what it is or where to get it?

Salt, it can be used as a softener for hard water to prevent excessive scaling on elements for heating hot water. How much you need for your beer will be down to how hard your water is.

[emoji1]
Don't want to hijack, but for *very* soft water what's a ballpark amount for salt? I plugged my water into the calculator on another site and for a stout it came back with 5 grams (along with the other additions) Does that sound reasonable? My water is stupidly soft so its probably ok but dont want a salty beer!

[emoji1]
Don't want to hijack, but for *very* soft water what's a ballpark amount for salt? I plugged my water into the calculator on another site and for a stout it came back with 5 grams (along with the other additions) Does that sound reasonable? My water is stupidly soft so its probably ok but dont want a salty beer!

My water analysis says to add 2.5g and that's alongside calcium chloride so 5g doesn't seem unreasonable and I doubt you'd be able to taste that little in a 23l brew.

My water analysis says to add 2.5g and that's alongside calcium chloride so 5g doesn't seem unreasonable and I doubt you'd be able to taste that little in a 23l brew.
Thanks, just needed the reassurance I think as the whole water chemistry thing is still a bit new to me

Back