How can i clean this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
No idea what VWP is, but I find ammonia a very good cleaner on burned in metal (Soak overnight). Just make sure to properly wash it afterwards.

Try white vinegar that works on a lot of things first I'd hand sand some of the burn off then soak as much as you can

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phosporic acid (i.e. coca cola) is a very good cleaner, especially for oxidation.. though cola is quite dilluted. If you want to have a good cleaner around, buy a bottle of 30% phosporic acid (about 15 quid). It's not extremely hazardous, as long as you don't poor it in your eyes. It's a very potent acid that doesn't immediately burn skin.. Just rinse of if you get it on your skin/clothes within half a minute. A bottle will last you just about a life time, and as it's a odourless, tasteless acid it works great for decalcifying your coffee maker, toilet, etc as well. It will also get of severe rust from ferrous metals etc, brighten up copper alloys etc.

Though for burned in residu I'd recommend something with a high pH, for example ammonia or cleaning soda. It tends to get those burned residues off easier plus it's a lot cheaper. You can buy a bottle of ammonia for the same price as a bottle of cola, though it will last you a lot longer. I'm pretty sure you will need it a couple of times more anyway. Ammonia tends to keep pretty well in your garage, just make sure it doesn't go under about -5*C.

i ended up soaking the element in one of those oven shelf cleaner things, it worked but i shouldnt have to do that every time?
how do you guys that have the pico boiler get on.?

I make a paste of citric acid and rub it onto the element whilst wearing latex gloves. Comes off really easily.

Back