Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm just drinking this now (my first try at all grain) a stove top kit of punk IPA from Brooklyn brew shop, I used 2 kits and made 10l, Very expensive but I wanted to try it,
very time consuming but after 2 weeks in the bottle tastes spot on.

Just like the real thing, Well almost

My first brew was a Brooklyn Brew shop Punk IPA kit. Was amazing. Hence why I have ventured further into the world of AG. Glad I dove straight in and skipped the kit part.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Could the diy dog kits be easily split into two batches?
The size of my equipment wouldn't allow me to do all grain bigger than about 10 or 12 litres

Today I brewed punk IPA, my first brew with my new ace boiler, did a biab using recipe info from diy dog. Got 23l cost me around £22 including saf05 yeast. Got good efficiency. I'll update on how this turns out

Today I brewed punk IPA, my first brew with my new ace boiler, did a biab using recipe info from diy dog. Got 23l cost me around �£22 including saf05 yeast. Got good efficiency. I'll update on how this turns out

Original or new Punk? I'm interested in doing the original Punk DIY Dog recipe sometime - only thing putting me off is the lack of detail on hop addition times. Beginning, middle and end is a bit vague...

Original or new Punk? I'm interested in doing the original Punk DIY Dog recipe sometime - only thing putting me off is the lack of detail on hop addition times. Beginning, middle and end is a bit vague...

Have a play about in Brewers Friend and once you match the IBUs it should fall into place. I'm planning to do a version of the original but toned down to Session strength of about 4.5% and about 40 IBUs

I disagree, it says a 60 minute boil for ales so that's beginning and middle sorted, then it says in the notes "To make the best of the aroma hops make sure they are fully submerged and add them just before knock out for an intense hop hit." I think that's fairly clear.

It was the new one, I've got ingredients for trashy blonde for my next. Might do the original punk after that. I used the malt miller for ingredients they make up a kit for you to you're recipes.

It was the new one, I've got ingredients for trashy blonde for my next. Might do the original punk after that. I used the malt miller for ingredients they make up a kit for you to you're recipes.

Geterbrewed do the same, there's no way I would have made Santa Paws with its 10 different types of grain without the option of a custom kit!

Geterbrewed do the same, there's no way I would have made Santa Paws with its 10 different types of grain without the option of a custom kit!
That's where it becomes worth the extra cost I guess. When it's just lots of hops then I don't mind shopping around and getting the hops myself and freezing the leftovers, but that's harder to do when it's lots of different kinds of grain.

That's where it becomes worth the extra cost I guess. When it's just lots of hops then I don't mind shopping around and getting the hops myself and freezing the leftovers, but that's harder to do when it's lots of different kinds of grain.

It's not even that much more expensive, and it's worth it for things like this, especially since I don't really make/drink many dark beers.

I disagree, it says a 60 minute boil for ales so that's beginning and middle sorted, then it says in the notes "To make the best of the aroma hops make sure they are fully submerged and add them just before knock out for an intense hop hit." I think that's fairly clear.

It is (deliberately I'd imagine) open to interpretation tho, I wouldn't add the flavour hops exactly in the middle for any of the pale recipes, more like 15 or 20 minutes. There is enough detail to make a cracking beer from the recipes tho.

It is (deliberately I'd imagine) open to interpretation tho, I wouldn't add the flavour hops exactly in the middle for any of the pale recipes, more like 15 or 20 minutes. There is enough detail to make a cracking beer from the recipes tho.

And that was my point, it would be nice to have a bit more detail as I've found "middle" and "end" even with the detail about adding the flavour hops "just before knockout" as being a bit vague. I'm not complaining, I think the DIY Dog recipe released is a great thing as as a new AG brewer it gives me a great deal to work with. I'll probably still try the original Punk recipe and experiment with the timings - I'm sure it'll be very drinkable even if the timings aren't perfect.

It's deliberate apparently:

BREWDOG RICH
25th February, 2016 2:54pm
With regard to the hop timings, we went with 'Start Middle and End' to make the recipes as easy to follow as we could. With so much variation between our kit and the myriad options available to homebrewers around the world - not to mention the variables of hop harvest and other ingredients, we realise that some experimentation will be required to hit the exact highs - but then, that's what homebrewing is all about!

Back