Electric Control Panel question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I presume your in the US so not sure of your voltage. But some simple maths is all you need to work it out. just divide your voltage(?) by your watts (3000) gives you your amps simples.

Oh OK was just with you buying things in dollars. 3kw at 230v (worst case) gives you 13A. Why not just use UK blue commando type sockets these are rated at 16A

Hope these pics help. Tried to keep the wiring tidy but after day 3 I stopped caring as much.

Inst1.jpg

Inst2.jpg

Ah! Those blue 'Commando' connectors, I thought you were referring to these:
_MG_4006.aspx

Yours look much more sensible!

I see there appear to be two of the blue 16A and three of the black 32A on your panel. What to they serve? I'm guessing a couple of pumps (16A) and three big elements?

blue commando.jpg

The blue ones are 20A and will do the pumps. The 32A black ones are my input from the fuse box (I got a 32A industrial outlet in the shed) and the output for the 2 elements. I went for 5500w elements so I can only run one at a time. The fittings are small and neat. I looked at the American NEMA ones but they were pricey. I forgot the guys name of this forum but that's were I got the idea for the Neutrik fittings.

Looks a lot neater than mine, started it with with not really a clue to what i was doing. I may in the next few months rewire it or maybe not as i keep the door locked and nobody can see it.

I'm pulling together the bits and pieces to build a control panel of the type seen in the Electric Brewery.

Would these suffice for connecting my 3KW elements to the control panel?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322086364435

Only similar looking plugs seem to sell for $50 plus following he links from the Electric Brewery site?

I would go with the suggestions from the guys to use the blue connectors from RS.

I wouldnt trust anything electrical from HK. As cheap and as inviting as it may be you know it's not going to be good. Plus the NEMA certified they state is a lie.

Your going to be having some tasty current going through this lot at 3kw single phase. So to protect you, your expensive equipment, and your house from burning down. Always go with a reputable supplier and equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another question. Originally I hadn't planned incorporating my pumps into the control panel but I'm now thinking it's something I ought to do.

I have two of Brewbuilder's TS-5 Mini Mag pumps which operate on 12v DC (3 amp). What will I need, in terms of a transformer, to build control of these into the panel?

Another question. Originally I hadn't planned incorporating my pumps into the control panel but I'm now thinking it's something I ought to do.

I have two of Brewbuilder's TS-5 Mini Mag pumps which operate on 12v DC (3 amp). What will I need, in terms of a transformer, to build control of these into the panel?

You will need :

Fused terminals
Normal disconnect terminals

2 X 220v to 12v Dc transformers (rated at 5amp

2 X double pole relays and bases

Terminals you will use to feed a supply into your transformers. The live feed should be fused to about 5amps to allow for inrush.
One transformer per pump would be best so you'll need those. Don't forget to earth them sufficiently to your panel CPC and the overall supply earth to the panel.

Then the output side of your transformer you will take back out through some terminals. Fused again this time only to max 3amp. Then out of those terminals through your double pole relay. You will use this relay via a switch? To start/stop your pump by isolating the 12v dc supply to them.

Then out of the relay through some more terminals which you will then wire out to your pumps.

Easy [emoji106]

I could do a sketch for you if that makes no sense.

But really if you don't understand basics like this then it's best to get a qualified electrician to help you. It's quite easy to hurt yourself if you don't know what your doing.

I hadn't realised it was you Roger [emoji6]

What's wrong with just using two double pole switches to two single sockets, 12v trani plugged in. Hey presto. (fused down accordingly of course) keep It simple and cheap

If Roger is building a control panel like I think he is. Then having everything contained in the one control panel. Complete with on/off switches (which you don't want to be switching 220v through) then yes the relays would be necessary.

Hoddy has it right. I'm building a control panel along the same lines as Kai's Electric Brewery. Leaving out the volt/amp meters and using 12v pumps rather than 240v. I'm happy enough following the build plans from the web site step by step (done it a few times with much simpler heating and cooling controls) but was unsure what bits I'd need to integrate the 12v pumps into what is essentially a 240v panel.
Hoddy, a diagram would be really useful thanks. And yes, I'll get my sparky uncle to give it the once over before I light it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back