Christmas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Presents all done, put 45 bottles of Art of Brewings XXXX Bitter in the shed last weekend, so hoping it may just about be ready for a xmas tipple. Also got 45 bottles of helles bock, but the sample tasted a bit bland (and flat) so may need to keep that over winter to improve.

Have a brew on but wont be ready , thats fine I never expected it to be.. I done some stout ale and TC in the proceeding months

presents all bought half wrapped, it gets trickier now they go to bed later and **** around

Just the last part of the wife's present (hopefully popping out at lunchtime today to get it) and the food shopping left to do. We have a detailed list, and my wife will do part of it on Friday afternoon and we will both get the rest on Christmas Eve morning.

Brew-wise I've been done for weeks. Got a mini keg plus 7 bottles of DIY Dog Santa Paws left (plus the dregs of the keg I opened last week), and pretty much a full 20L brew each of Steam Beer and Belgian pale (I think I've had 5 or 6 bottles max between the 2).

Presents, Shopping and Wrapping* all done.

Don't have much home brew ready for Christmas...however, Mrs Pope has bought me a great deal of booze to get me through...including a box of Porters and Stouts.

*I despise wrapping presents

Just the last part of the wife's present (hopefully popping out at lunchtime today to get it) and the food shopping left to do. We have a detailed list, and my wife will do part of it on Friday afternoon and we will both get the rest on Christmas Eve morning.

Brew-wise I've been done for weeks. Got a mini keg plus 7 bottles of DIY Dog Santa Paws left (plus the dregs of the keg I opened last week), and pretty much a full 20L brew each of Steam Beer and Belgian pale.

How did your DIY Santa Paws turn out? After having the original it for the first time in the last couple of weeks, I've been interested in making it.

First time since I met the wife 22 year's ago that I have all her presents bought and wrapped plus I've a chestnut Ale and a pale ale to transfer to secondary tomorrow.

Sent from my ALE-L21

How did your DIY Santa Paws turn out? After having the original it for the first time in the last couple of weeks, I've been interested in making it.

I've never had the commercial so can't really compare. I'd expected t to be based on a heavy (80/-), probably due to my (mis)interpretation of the term "scotch ale" but it's definitely come out like a stout. The smoked malt was a bit overpowering at first but it's mellowed nicely over the last couple of months.

Yeah for once all presents purchased, cards sent, just need to do a bit of food shopping before the big day. Lots of beer ready and more fermenting so I won't run out come the new year. Still got the wrapping to do though.

We don't buy presents nowadays.

We decided on this policy when we ran out of ideas and SWMBO bought me a tube of Preparation H for Christmas. (No kidding! It was even wrapped properly!) :thumb:

It's not a "Scrooge" thing it's more "If you need it go and get it when you need it, rather than wait until Christmas."

On the brewing front, the cold weather has put a bit of a dent in my planning so I will only just cope over Christmas and into the New Year!

I usually carbonate on the worktop but at 6-8 degrees in the garage that system has had to be kicked into touch!

Apart from a few bottles of beers that were brewed over the summer, I only have:

o A rapidly diminishing keg of Cerveza and Pumpkin Beer with about 10 litres left in it.

o An almost full keg of Low Alcohol Cider brewed for No. 1 Son.

o 25 bottles of Lager that has only just finished conditioning.

o 40 bottles of Marsh Mild still carbonating in the fridge ...

... and I urgently need the fridge emptied to get the next brew underway!!

I will be okay if I can get the next brew going before Christmas! The choice is between a Woodfordes Wherry or a Fulstows Northway IPA. :thumb: :thumb:

Extract or AG? Decisions, decisions. I guess it will depend on the weather where "Rain = Extract" and "Fine = All Grain" :thumb::thumb:

We don't buy presents nowadays.

We only buy for family not each other and we don't spend much, i know i sound like a right miserable git but Christmas is for kids and once they have grown up its not the same, i will enjoy the time off work and the stuff you don't eat and drink the rest of the year.

Mrs Tea is working Christmas again :roll:

BahHumbug.gif~c200

We don't buy many presents at all. There's just the four of us. My family are in the UK.
The missus is from the country so her family are six hours drive away.

This year my daughter wanted a wetsuit and needed it a couple of months ago. That's her main present.
My son is 12 and goes to high school in January. He passed his exams to go to a local school where the clever kids go.
He wasn't sure he wanted to go. He wanted to go with his mates. However a new mobile phone & laptop
soon convinced him to go. So that's his presents which he's had for a couple of months now.
One of the supermarkets had 20% off Coopers last week so I got six to keep me going.
I also bought myself 20kg of Light Malt too.

SWMBO bought me a tube of Preparation H for Christmas.
What's that? It's not like KY Jelly is it?

Brews ready - nothing!
Brews on - nothing!
Terrible! The new house has taken me over completely :-(. The 650 bats are gone from the upstairs bedroom :thumb: (thanks due to SNH for their efficiency with the exclusion licence). Ceiling half down, 10 rubble sacks of bat **** so far - lots more to come :mrgreen:
Major electrical work underway.
The gas central heating boiler condemned - but the archaic system needs a total redesign anyway.
New Year's Resolution, note to self: Get a grip, and put some proper beer on. You know you'll need a decent restorative to recover at the end of the day!! :)

What's that? It's not like KY Jelly is it?

Unfortunately NO! :nono: :nono:

Actually, in my opinion, Preparation H is one of the wonders of the world.

Who in their right mind would look at a shark thrashing around in the bottom of their boat and think "I'm going to extract the grease from that shark's liver and shove it up my backside."

Oh, and anyone who has checked out the price of KY Jelly recently will appreciate that the cost of loving is going up ... :doh:

... and I blame Brexit! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back