Beer not hitting target Gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
Mu second AG brew has been in the FV for about 3.5 weeks now, after 2 weeks it was down to 1.018 so not, I upped the temp in my little brew chamber I've built to 20c to see if I could get it to ferment out to the 1.010 I'm aiming for, but all it's done is drop to 1.015-16, I can't see it dropping any further.

It's a Ruby style beer with a SG of 1.052 and as above aiming for 1.010, anything I could do or should I just barrel\bottle it and see what it's like after conditioning?

Also it has a bit of a film on the top, it tastes OK, not great but I think that's just because I came in under volume by 3 litres and it's over bitter from the hops.

What's the opinion of this layer of scum?

IMG_20170317_162049.jpg

Did you hit the expected mash temperature? If you were a little higher than expected that would be a possible reason for it not fermenting out.

I don't know what that film might be but I've learned to trust my sanitation processes and therefore not stress too much about some pretty weird looking stuff floating around on top of my beer

Is that not the start of a LAB infection?

That's kind of what I'm trying to find out, it's been sealed back up for about a week since i last tested the gravity and took that picture, when I finally make it home this afternoon i shall have another look, but it may be heading drainward if that has grown :-(

That certainly looks like an infection of some kind. If it tastes OK, I would carefully rack the beer from under the film and bottle/keg.

I would give both the FV and whatever you put the beer in afterwards a very good cleaning with bleach to make sure whatever caused that is dead.

Did you hit the expected mash temperature? If you were a little higher than expected that would be a possible reason for it not fermenting out.

I don't know what that film might be but I've learned to trust my sanitation processes and therefore not stress too much about some pretty weird looking stuff floating around on top of my beer

The Mash went as planned 67 for 90, dropped a degree maybe two over the 90 minutes

As for the yeast, I don't have all the notes with me but I think it just a British Ale yeast, nothing too specialsed

When you get back put up another picture to show how it's grown over the week, if it is an infection it would assist others in identifying it in their own brews.
As Simon says could be worth transferring it and hoping for the best.

That certainly looks like an infection of some kind. If it tastes OK, I would carefully rack the beer from under the film and bottle/keg.

I would give both the FV and whatever you put the beer in afterwards a very good cleaning with bleach to make sure whatever caused that is dead.

Probably a plan, also i think it's time I treated myself to a new FV or two, so I might just bin the old bucket

I agree with Simonh82, it is worth racking it out of that vessel into another, sacrifice a bit of beer to make sure you don't drag any of that film into the new FV. The trouble is if fermentation does start up again you won't really know if it is yeast or a bad bug until you drink it. Given it is still quite a high gravity, I wouldn't bottle or keg until you've had three gravity readings with no movement.

I agree with Simonh82, it is worth racking it out of that vessel into another, sacrifice a bit of beer to make sure you don't drag any of that film into the new FV. The trouble is if fermentation does start up again you won't really know if it is yeast or a bad bug until you drink it. Given it is still quite a high gravity, I wouldn't bottle or keg until you've had three gravity readings with no movement.

The type of yeast may be important, I once had a brew with a Windsor yeast that would not go below 1020 for about 10 days. I chucked in some Nottingham and it eventually went down to 1014 before I bottled it without priming just in case. Worked out OK if a little sweet.

I did a Sara Hughes Ruby Ale with WLP002 English Ale yeast and it stalled at 1018 from ~ 1050, until I added US05. That learned it!

I don't know about the film on the top. Tasting the beer sounds like a good start, though.

Could possibly be an infection, probably a result of extra time and attention due to the initial problem.

The time and temperature that this has had in the FV would indicate that it has fermented out, so why the high FG?

It's a common assumption that thermometers are accurate, but seldom is it the reality, particularly if using sub £20 digital ones.

A reading of 67c mash temp, may not be accurate and could have been higher, unless you have checked the accuracy of your thermometer.

What thermometer do you use?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.fo...4/how-to-calibrate-your-food-thermometer/amp/

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I changed my fermenter after something similar, just in case. The beer turned out fine, as usual the later bottle's were the best.

The retired fv is now a grain store :-)

What was your recipe?
A high percentage of speciality malt can up the fg.

That film looks like hop oil, perfectly normal

I was thinking this but didn't want to say it out loud, Sure ive seen plenty of films on my wort.
I'm guessing the high fg might be down to yeast. Was it a brand or part of a kit? How many grams were in the pack?
As said before if it was a Windsor style it normally only goes down to about 1016 on a good day, but that's what its meant to do to give a full body I believe.

So made it back home and have taken another reading, no change and if anything it's probably closer to 1.018 that 16 so still very high.

The film doesn't seem to have multiplied so I'm er'ing on the side of a oil like film at the moment.

Looking at my dates it's been in the FV since 21st Feb so a month.

The AG recipe was a pre built kit and used English Ale yeast (10g) no more info than that.

Grain bill was;

Marris Otter - 4.3KG
Crystal - 454g
Chocolate - 113g

So nothing that wild.

So maybe I'll get some of the yeast suggestions above, would it be recommended to add it as part of a starter or just get it in the Fv as is?

IMG_20170324_154318.jpg

Back