Roasted barley question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was going to continue an older thread but couldn't find one specifically on 'amount'

I'm planning on a brew (Bateman's Salem porter) that, after minimising the recipe from a 19litre recipe to an 11litre I get this

1595g pale malt
264g sugar
253g crystal
And a whopping 110g of roasted barley

Now I'm a bit concerned this is too much roasted barley. My experience with this grain has left some beers extremely dry and bland, stripping away many other malts I've used for the beers.
Has wheeler over looked this one or does this look ok in conjunction with the other amounts of grain.

Cheers if anyone has any advise

Challenger hops 21g 60mins
Golding's hops 7g 10mins
Irish moss 1g 10mins

Cheers guys I thought I'd add the hop additions incase you fancied doing one urself. Up the amounts accordingly if necessary.

Beercat
The book doesn't reveal any yeasts which is probably the only gripe I have with it
Using CML real ale yeast

Last edited:
The book doesn't reveal any yeasts which is probably the only gripe I have with

Yeah, that is annoying, especially seeing that its the yeast that give the beers their character. I've never used the CML real ale yeast, thought I'm sure it'll make a decent beer. If you really want to get close then you could ask Brewlab for a slant, as they probably have it in their library. Otherwise, you could always ask the brewery for some yeast if you're in the area. They've given it to homebrewers before.

Personally I wouldn't use roast barley in a porter, it doesn't take a lot of it to make a beer into a stout. Black patent or chocolate would be a better choice; maybe a touch of brown malt also.

GW has stated on other forums he made a conscious decision not to state a yeast because unless you can get the original brewers yeast, and I believe he did during research, you will never create the beer exactly. Brewlabs are the best option. I've used them several times and they are very helpful. Ring and speak to Alison she is very helpful. Even a Whitelabs yeast with a known origin I.E. WLP002, Fullers, my favorite yeast, may have been modified in the lab to help the company maintain the yeast.

Personally I wouldn't use roast barley in a porter, it doesn't take a lot of it to make a beer into a stout. Black patent or chocolate would be a better choice; maybe a touch of brown malt also.

Just wondered is there a big difference between patent black and roast barley? For some reason I was under the impression they are very similar and could be used interchangeably.

Just wondered is there a big difference between patent black and roast barley? For some reason I was under the impression they are very similar and could be used interchangeably.

There was a Brulosophy xBmt where the tasters couldn't tell apart two beers that were identical except that one used black and the other used roasted barley.

I've got black and chocolate. Decision time.

There was a Brulosophy xBmt where the tasters couldn't tell apart two beers that were identical except that one used black and the other used roasted barley.

Maybe my taste buds are just really keen (:?) but I have a porter on tap that used black patent and I can certainly tell that it's not roast barley.

I saw that one too, the amusing thing about these experiments is that basically it makes little difference either way in most of these tests.

In other words, if you follow a sound methodology, the beer is going to be good.

I know this isn't a lot to go on BUT on the two occasions I have done stouts and used RB (and chocolate).... I would recommend cold steeping the day before..

Covrich
From what I've read dark malts should be cold steeped. So it's nice to see I'm not going mad.
Cheers

Covrich
From what I've read dark malts should be cold steeped. So it's nice to see I'm not going mad.
Cheers

Cold steeping, or in a partial mash I add them about 15-20 minutes before the end of the mash. In all grain (BIAB) I find they work just fine thrown in with the entire mash - I admit I do adust my mash pH and the lower pH is supposed to help.

Interesting that xbeeriment participants couldn't tell the difference between patent and roast barley, but if you have ever tasted American coffee you would be forgiven for thinking they have no taste at all! :grin: In reality, it is probably the recipe used that hid it - I love the flavour roasted barley adds in judicious quantities, but when balanced correctly against a chocolate or patent it is even better.

Then again, maybe we just have better malts here downunder... :lol:

Latest posts

Back