Adding Roasted Barley to the boil? Dry Irish Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentish Mike

Reaction score
So, I am planning on brewing a Dry Irish Stout, something like a Guinness.
One of the recipes I've seen in looking around calls for the roasted barley to be ground up extremely fine (powder) and added at the start of the boil...
I've never heard of this before and wondered if others had? What is the purpose? Will this work in a Brewzilla or will it clog up the pump and burn on the bottom?

Any and all input appreciated!

Here's the recipe I plan to use:
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Dryrish Stout
Author: Mike

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Irish Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 19 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 25 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.032
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 4.45%
IBU (tinseth): 37.74
SRM (morey): 32.83
Mash pH: 5.42

FERMENTABLES:
2.7 kg - Maris Otter Extra Pale (68.7%)
0.7 kg - Flaked Barley (17.8%)
0.15 kg - Rolled Oats (3.8%)
0.3 kg - Roasted Barley - (late boil kettle addition) (7.6%)
0.08 kg - Chocolate (2%)

HOPS:
30 g - Target, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.74

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 49 C, Time: 15 min, Amount: 15 L
2) Temperature, Temp: 64 C, Time: 45 min
3) Temperature, Temp: 77 C
4) Fly Sparge, Temp: 77 C, Time: 30 min, Amount: 12 L

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
9 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
4 ml - Lactic acid, Time: 60 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1338278/dryrish-stout
Generated by Brewer's Friend - Brewer's Friend | Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators & Forum
Date: 2022-12-09 20:07 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2022-12-09 20:07 UTC

I’ve personally never seen grain added to the boil and the first question that came to mind is whether the objective might be to introduce some acrid bitterness or astringency?

On the other hand, if you cold steep the grains and add the steeped liquor to the boil (late) - eureka! This is a way of smoothing any roasty bitterness.

I’ve personally never seen grain added to the boil and the first question that came to mind is whether the objective might be to introduce some acrid bitterness or astringency?

On the other hand, if you cold steep the grains and add the steeped liquor to the boil (late) - eureka! This is a way of smoothing any roasty bitterness.
I am wondering if Brewer Mike ticked the wrong box, on Brewers Friend there is a late edition, tick that and it says boil or mash. Could have ticked the wrong box by mistake. I add my roast as late mash addition.

I have seen grains added to the boil but only for simplicity: my LHBS produces their own extract kits with liquid extra, hops and adjunct grains. The grains and hops all go in bags that you add to the boil, typically at the 60min and 10min mark, so there is no mash/steep stage, just a boil.

As you're mashing with the above recipe you may as well just add the roasted barley to the mash, that's what I do for my Guinness-like brews.

I think this was common practice in homebrewing's early days (I've posted a video from a 1960s where this is recommended), but don't know anyone who would recommend it now.

It was done. A couple of hundred years ago, when "black malt" was first introduced as a legal colourant for "Porter". But that was tiny quantities (1 to 3%). The stuff ruined the value of spent grain as animal feed, and people weren't used to the flavour.

But they got used to the flavour and even demanded it.

I wanted to try it but chickened out and used what @foxy suggests (late mash addition). As for boiling 7-8% ... hmm 🤔

If you do late additions (even boil) remember to exclude it from your water calculations or you'll have a very high pH mash (a lot of alkaline salt will be specified to counter to roast malt/barley's acidity).

I would suggest that you do a separate hot steep with the roast barley and add the liquid to the boil. This will have the same effect but avoid the powder clogging up the works.

Actually been meaning to ask you recently, how much water and for how long do you steep?

Back