Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Lallemand to release a NE Yeast (dried Vermont yeast)

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 18-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #1
Hoddy

Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lallemand to release a NE Yeast (dried Vermont yeast)

So the rumours are true (apparently verdant have been trialing it) Llamand are going to release homebrew pack sizes of dried Vermont ale yeast. What does everyone think about that??

I think this will definitely increase the amount of NEIPA beers we see on out shelves as micro and nano brewers will be able to access that yeast strain at a fraction of the previous cost of wet yeast. IMG_1433.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.
Brew_DD2 Likes This 
Old 18-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
Brew_DD2
Mint Choc Chipster

Liked 174 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 286

That's great news. I'm sure the others will follow suit.

Old 18-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4404 Times on 3334 Posts
Likes Given: 4628

Cautiously optomistic. But Everyone got excited about the ESB (Fullers) yeast they released and that was a disappointment (from the threads I read about it on various forums)

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 18-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Simonh82

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
Cautiously optomistic. But Everyone got excited about the ESB (Fullers) yeast they released and that was a disappointment (from the threads I read about it on various forums)
I've just got about 20 pages in to a VERY long thread over on Homebrewtalk about isolating the strains from Treehouse brewery NEIPA. It appeared that they used 4 strains in their beer and the OP on that thread did a genetic analysis of a couple of dozen strains to track down what they were. One of the upshots of this, is that the Llamand ESB strain appears to be identical to Winsor, which matches what a lot of people said (low attenuation and poor floculation).

Let's hope this is the real deal and they haven't just repackaged another common yeast like S04/WLP007 which apparently quite a few breweries are using for NEIPAs.
Tony's Porter
Jeremy Corbeeryn (Hoppy Red Ale)
Planning
Golden Challenge (British Golden Ale)
---------------------------------
Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]
MyQul Likes This 
Old 18-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
Druncan
Senior Moments

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Default Beerx and Yeast

Will be at SIBA beerx march and catch up with Lallemand reps and get samples,,, Interesting to see what the yeast favour profile will produce up here!

Old 18-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Hoddy

Liked 366 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druncan View Post
Will be at SIBA beerx march and catch up with Lallemand reps and get samples,,, Interesting to see what the yeast favour profile will produce up here!

I hope to see you there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.

Old 18-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
I've just got about 20 pages in to a VERY long thread over on Homebrewtalk about isolating the strains from Treehouse brewery NEIPA. It appeared that they used 4 strains in their beer and the OP on that thread did a genetic analysis of a couple of dozen strains to track down what they were. One of the upshots of this, is that the Llamand ESB strain appears to be identical to Winsor, which matches what a lot of people said (low attenuation and poor floculation).

Let's hope this is the real deal and they haven't just repackaged another common yeast like S04/WLP007 which apparently quite a few breweries are using for NEIPAs.
That's interesting. I've seen that thread but havent bothered reading it. I'm sure your aware of the huge ESB yeast thread too

Old 18-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
Simonh82

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
That's interesting. I've seen that thread but havent bothered reading it. I'm sure your aware of the huge ESB yeast thread too
I don't spend too much time on HBT so although I think I saw the ESB thread in its infancy, I've not read it for a long time. I just saw the Tree House thread today and got all excited about science stuff. Still only about 20 pages into it with 85 to go. The TL/DR version so far is that they appear to use a combination of Fermentis dry yeasts for their NEIPA, possibly something like 70% S-04, 15% T-58, 15% WB-06, then adding CBC-1 to condition and carbonate it.

I didn't really understand the science but I'm glad there are people out there willing to do this for the love of beer.
Tony's Porter
Jeremy Corbeeryn (Hoppy Red Ale)
Planning
Golden Challenge (British Golden Ale)
---------------------------------
Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]

Old 19-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
dan125
BIAB brewer

Liked 388 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
So the rumours are true (apparently verdant have been trialing it) Llamand are going to release homebrew pack sizes of dried Vermont ale yeast. What does everyone think about that??
Nice - will be interesting to compare.
Have you tried a beer made with it?

DRINKING:
Session American Amber Ale

Old 19-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
I don't spend too much time on HBT so although I think I saw the ESB thread in its infancy, I've not read it for a long time. I just saw the Tree House thread today and got all excited about science stuff. Still only about 20 pages into it with 85 to go. The TL/DR version so far is that they appear to use a combination of Fermentis dry yeasts for their NEIPA, possibly something like 70% S-04, 15% T-58, 15% WB-06, then adding CBC-1 to condition and carbonate it.

I didn't really understand the science but I'm glad there are people out there willing to do this for the love of beer.
I've also been reading a huge thread on HBT, basically how to make a tasty BMC (bud/miller/coors) beer using amlyse enzme to dry the beer out so much (FG 1.000 - you read that right, not a typo - 1.000) it makes it very crisp to mimic a lager. So people like me without lager fridges can make a lager. I'm 96 pages through the thread so far