Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Books for brewing please

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Piperbrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Books for brewing please

Well as I have been tempted to go ''all grain'' can any of you recommend any books that will be good in order I can learn more please. Also what would be a good beer IPA or bitter to start with please. Finally are there any Ringwood beer clones out there that are very good please?

Cheers

Pete

Old 08-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
yeastinfection

Liked 253 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Gregg Hughes home brew beer, seems really popular
chub1 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Piperbrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cheers Yeast....great name by the way

Old 08-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
IainM

Liked 786 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 367

How to Brew by John Palmer is a good introduction. IPA and bitter are both good choices for a first AG. There are a few Ringwood clones out there, including Graham Wheeler's one. I haven't done it but Wheeler's recipes are usually decent. You can even get the Ringwood yeast as Wyeast do it.
Conditioning: BBNo1:1 Citra saison, Chevallier bitter, Blackberry wine, Elderberry wine, Plum wine
Drinking: Cwtch, Bures Gold, Perry, Cider, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer

Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
Piperbrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
How to Brew by John Palmer is a good introduction. IPA and bitter are both good choices for a first AG. There are a few Ringwood clones out there, including Graham Wheeler's one. I haven't done it but Wheeler's recipes are usually decent. You can even get the Ringwood yeast as Wyeast do it.

Thanks...are Wyeast in the UK?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #6
IainM

Liked 786 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperbrew View Post
Thanks...are Wyeast in the UK?
It's an American company but many of the online homebrew shops in the UK stock their yeasts.
Piperbrew Likes This 
Old 09-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #7
Fil

Liked 867 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In addition to the authors listed above I would also recommend the books from Dave line and Graham wheeler too. Every brewer will try Grahams TTL recipe an lurve it

If a beardy weirdy hipster you may appreciate the books by Randy Mosher, . My Bias and Joking apart, Moshers Radical brewing is a well respected book, more the US style of brewing tho.

If looking for further reading beyond the 'basic mechanics/procedures' Chris Whites 'Yeast' is a surprisingly easy read and is highly enlightening, its in a series of books covering the 4 main ingredients in beer Yeast, Grain, Water and Hops, All with a US slant but with yeast thats not really an issue.. (ive read all 4 and Yeast is the well thumbed and tatty book )

Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
Bigcol49

Liked 817 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Hi!
John Palmer's book is now in the 4th edition, but the first edition is available free, online.
http://www.howtobrew.com

Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Piperbrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cheers guys

Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Piperbrew

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just had a look at the Malt Miller site. Obviously the reason I want the books is to learn methods but also to clone a few beers. Are the Malt Miller clones like the beers they copy, ie Forty Niner and Speckled Hen?