Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > My first batch

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Broomie14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My first batch

So following the instructions today is the day my my brew should be done after the 10 days in a chilled place thought i would try it its more of a beer colour than a lager colour and a very bitter taste does this mean iv went wrong some where ???i dont know If its worked but iv uploaded a pic of it in its bottle
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0436.jpg  

Old 19-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Clint

Liked 1121 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 268

More details would help! You say 10 days in a chilled place. ...is that during or after fermentation?

Old 19-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4399 Times on 3331 Posts
Likes Given: 4623

Did you brew a kit, exract or all grain? You say it's very bitter? I've recently had some problems with harsh bitterness in my beer so have read quite a bit on the subject recently so my be able to help (there's quite a number of reasons for beer being very bitter btw so the culprit may take a bit of tracking down)

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 19-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Brewery21

Looks nice and clear tho. You mentioned larger/beer color. What do you normally drink because if you drink larger you may find proper beer of many variations tastes bitter. As already said depends on what the brew was. If it's malt extract/ kit it's hard to impart any real over battering.

Old 22-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Broomie14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was a european lager kit After the fermenting finished it says to bottle it with half a tea spoon of sugar and leave it in a warm place for 2 days then move the bottles to a chilled place for 10 days.. i usual drink lager but iv never seen one that dark or taste like a bitter.. the malt (i think its a malt) in the tin from the kit was the same colour.

Old 22-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Brewery21

Well I've had some great largers of all colours from Europe so wouldn't worry to much about that. It will probably taste maltier than a lighter larger which I feel is a good thing, gives it more depth and taste profile. As for the bittering does it seem OK after you've had a pint or so. Also what's the abv รท. As I said the clarity looks great tho. Always a good sign of a brew

Old 23-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #7
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1833 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 3958

Get going with your next brew and keep going until you reach "Critical Mass". i.e. enough beer to take your time deciding what to brew, brewing it and letting it carbonate and condition for at least four weeks.

If you leave the current batch somewhere nice and cool (and test a bottle every week) you will probably discover that it tastes a lot better after a few weeks.

Many of us on the Forum follow the 2+2+2 "rule" which gives 2 weeks for fermentation plus 2 weeks for carbonation plus 2 weeks for conditioning before we consider whether or not it's ready to drink.

Also, please try to not compare what you brew with the mass produced gnats pee that is available in the pubs and supermarkets. The chances are that your own brew will be far superior to 95% of the commercial beers.

Enjoy!

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
AG Vienna Lager with Hallertau (12/11/17)
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter (12/11/17)
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup (12/11/17)
AG Low ABV Pale Ale (19/11/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Fermenting
Golden Pumpkin Ale
AG Oatmeal Stout

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.
dad_of_jon Likes This 
Old 23-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Broomie14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It tasted alright by the end of the bottle just wasent what i was expecting as it tasted more like an ale type. it said it was 4%. I dont have enough room or bottles to get the next batch going but i will be trying a different lager and i will use the 2+2+2 rule see if it gives any better results... any recomendations on kits to try ??? I was quite impressed with how clear it went and was told its a sign of a good brew but im new and dont really know. Is there any pouring techniques to not disturb the seddiment in the bottle ?? Thanks for the responces

Old 23-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Gunge

Liked 919 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomie14 View Post
Is there any pouring techniques to not disturb the seddiment in the bottle ?? Thanks for the responces
Chill first. Hold glass and bottle at an angle which prevents air 'glugging' into the bottle and thus causing a ripple which disturbs the sediment. Hold both to the light whilst pouring - towards the end you will see some yeast heading toward the neck. Stop pouring just before it reaches it! Some yeasts are better than others for firm compaction. I'm thinking Notty here!

Old 23-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
Broomie14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea thats how i did the last one lol just didnt know if there was other ways