Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Bugger - think ive killed it!

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 26-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Zakrabbit

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Bugger - think ive killed it!

Midweek I had a day orf, and decided it was ideal to get my bitter bottled, and to bottle my strawberry wine, which had been sat for about four days as a final clearing after being racked off onto a crushed campden tab. So far so good

Whilst doing this, I decided that i'd also rack off my cherry and RGJ wow, which had now slowed to a bubble every 15sec or so, in order to get it off the half inch of lees,

Having racked the cherry off, I wasnt too happy about the extra headspace, so, without thinking it through, I topped it up - with a bit of the strawberry...

... and now im lucky to get a bubble through once in 5mins!

Wondering now whether to just leave it and hope it recovers, or cut my losses and clear it and quoff it!

Old 26-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Cwrw666

Liked 590 Times on 415 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Just leave it alone. I doubt the camden is having much effect but you've taken it off most of the yeast!
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.

Old 26-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3718 Times on 2939 Posts
Likes Given: 4487

I may be missing something but why do you think you have ruined it did the juice you added have preservatives in it if not I would have thought it would be fermenting faster as you have added more sugar.

I never rack until it has finished fermenting as that's the way everyone was doing it when I joined and I have never had any off flavours caused by it sitting on the dead yeast etc.

Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 26-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Zakrabbit

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwrw666 View Post
Just leave it alone. I doubt the camden is having much effect but you've taken it off most of the yeast!
Ah, good point! I was under the impression that most of the yeast would be free-swimming rather than concentrated in any one place

Old 26-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Zakrabbit

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy_Tea View Post
did the juice you added have preservatives in it if not I would have thought it would be fermenting faster as you have added more sugar.

Topped with finished strawberry wine Chippy, not juice!

Moment of madness!

Old 26-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3718 Times on 2939 Posts
Likes Given: 4487

The only way to know for sure what's happening is to take a hydrometer reading over a few days.

Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 26-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Zakrabbit

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Planning to, just as soon as I have time. Temp is low as well at 14C so that wont really help, but i cant do anything about that at the moment.

Im not overly worried, after all its a supermarket wow, it was going to be drunk pretty early anyway, so if it is stopped then oh well,
People Like This