Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > returning brewer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
woomfy

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default returning brewer

Hi folks,

from bonny Scotland.

Made a few beers and wine kits many years ago.
Have just started a kit I was given as a gift from my son last Christmas.
Didn't remember it being as complicated. This was a Brooklyn brew kit with proper grain and stuff, not the boots cans from my yoof.

Anyhow found myself quite enjoying the process, thinking I could get into this.
All went well, although i felt my dark place under the stairs was a bit cold, so I moved the jug to a warmer spot near a radiator. Things really took off then. To the extent, on day 3, before I removed the tube positioned in a jug of water, to be replaced by the air lock, things have stopped and the beer has started to settle and clear.

So my questions, should I, can I add some sugar to get hings going again?
Or, has the primary brewing finished early,due to the heat and am I now ready to bottle?

I don't have Hydrometer to check the gravity yet, just going to order one but fear it might not arrive in time to save the brew.

Many thanks in advance for anyone with the time to advise.
regards,
Davie
People Like This 
Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
GerritT

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 566

I started with a Brooklyn kit
Just leave the jug (not too close to the radiator though, it should be room temperature, not warm), order the hydrometer and measure. Some yeasts do their job in 3 days, but leave it longer, give the yeast time to clean up properly. OR it has stalled and you need to measure. Anyway between pitching and siphoning, two weeks should cause no harm. Just relax. It's fun! Not work.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
LarryF
Brew Numpty

Liked 686 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Welcome to the forum Davie, let it ferment for two weeks at room temperature and it should be fine. Have a look through here in the meantime:

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/fo...er=desc&page=2
Planning: Beer
The signature was starting to be hard work.
woomfy Likes This 
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #4
woomfy

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default update........

So 2 weeks up and bottling time today........ checked my SG, because I now have a Hydrometer, and bah still high @ 1015, as I suspected.
So on the the advise of the nice lady in the shop that I just bought my NEXT kit from, I cleaned out the demijohn, brought the temperature back up to 21 deg, and added more yeast. (from my new kit) Which means I'm now short for my next batch. Can I cultivate the yeast I have left or should I just buy more.
Doh, just had a thought, the second batch of yeast was a different type, might it matter?