0.994 FG beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeptues

Reaction score
Hi All, not sure if this is the right place to post.

i recently brewed an attempt at a la chouffe clone which went reasonably well with an O.G of 1.062 according to the tilt, fermentation went off like a rocket and i thought all was good until it shot past the FG and just keeps on going and i have no idea why.

heres the recipe

mash for an hour at 65
5kg pilsner malt
1kg table sugar

60 min boil
50g saaz at 60 min
25g saaz at 15 min
25g saaz at 1 min

50g coriander at 5 min

used 1 pack of mangrove jacks m31 tripple yeast pitched at 20 degrees then fermented at a continuous 19.4 degrees in the fermentation fridge. also added 5 ml latic acid to the mash

Any insight in to whats happening here would be much appreciated

Well that's freaky! I did a La Chouffe clone recently as well and had a similar experience. Though mine finished at 1.007 (from 1.078 OG). I co-pitched M31 trippel and M47. Mine also went off like a rocket

When you say "it keeps going", what are you using to measure? If you're measuring continuously with an iSpindel/tilt, they can give off readings and I find refractometers highly unreliable at doing a FG measurement.
My iSpindel reported finishing at 1.002, but when I measured it with the hydrometer it was 1.007.
1663262564085.png

Anyway, if your readings are accurate, I think you may have an infection. Mine I have attributed to me not fully cleaning the fermenter after a Saison yeast (diastaticus) which breaks down dextrins into fermentable sugars, so keeps on going like you saw. Cleaning equipment after using diastaticus yeast (I posted on this thread when I thought the iSpindel was accurate and it was 1.002 - I'm not sure anymore)

I have the next brew in the fermenter now (after a big clean)so hopefully it'll be OK from now.

Hm, that is just the M31 doing its work. I got 94% from it in one beer, and 84% for the M47.

Well that's freaky! I did a La Chouffe clone recently as well and had a similar experience. Though mine finished at 1.007 (from 1.078 OG). I co-pitched M31 trippel and M47. Mine also went off like a rocket

When you say "it keeps going", what are you using to measure? If you're measuring continuously with an iSpindel/tilt, they can give off readings and I find refractometers highly unreliable at doing a FG measurement.
My iSpindel reported finishing at 1.002, but when I measured it with the hydrometer it was 1.007.
View attachment 74922

Anyway, if your readings are accurate, I think you may have an infection. Mine I have attributed to me not fully cleaning the fermenter after a Saison yeast (diastaticus) which breaks down dextrins into fermentable sugars, so keeps on going like you saw. Cleaning equipment after using diastaticus yeast (I posted on this thread when I thought the iSpindel was accurate and it was 1.002 - I'm not sure anymore)

I have the next brew in the fermenter now (after a big clean)so hopefully it'll be OK from now.
Thats really interesting with regards the m31 yeast as i haven't used any kind of diastaticus yeast before, however i think this might be the cuplrit as there were two different coloured "grains" in the yeast packet and after a quick google several sites report diastaticus like properties for m31 despite nothing being listed on mangrove jacks official product page for it.

if i'd known it would go well past its listed attenuation i would have used something else.

Will taste and keg this weekend if its good.

Last edited:
Thats really interesting with regards the m31 yeast as i haven't used any kind of diastaticus yeast before, however i think this might be the cuplrit as there were two different coloured "grains" in the yeast packet and after a quick google several sites report diastaticus like properties for m31 despite nothing being listed on mangrove jacks official product page for it.

if i'd known it would go well past its listed attenuation i would have sued something else.

Will taste and keg this weekend if its good.
so you're suing a packet of yeast? ;)

Well...

1) You mashed low for an hour,
2) You added a large portion of 100% fermentable table sugar,
3) You used a diastaticus yeast (or is it really just enzymes added? I'm not positive), and
4) The Tilt reads low when there's a lot of yeast and/or hops stuck to it.

The reason your SG seems so low is a combination of all these factors. But it's not actually 0.994. Measure with a real non-Tilt hydrometer to know the real result.

3) You used a diastaticus yeast (or is it really just enzymes added? I'm not positive),

I wonder if MJ have an extensive range of 'Belgian' yeasts, purely by blending ratios of the same two yeasts. One diastatic, one not.

I'm always suprised by how low the alcohol tolerance is on some of them. It makes me think a wheat yeast and a Saison. Banana esters from one, fruity phenolics from the other.

Last edited:
Those mangrove jack Belgian yeasts seems to be beasts. Just finished a Belgian blonde with M41 and it went down to 1.002 with 94% AA.
Sounds about right. I see the M41is listed as:- Attenuation: Very High (82 - 88%)

The M31 is listed the same as the M41

I started a Belgian inspired ale last weekend and used the M47 which is listed as :- Attenuation: High (73 - 77%)

My OG was 1.066 and its now slowing to around 1.017 which brew father tells me is 73% attenuation.

buddsy

Latest posts

Back