10 years later lets try this again :0)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been popping in and lurking the threads for a while so decided to join.
Around 10 years ago i tried home brewing with pretty poor results, leaking pb with a cheap lager kit ended up down the drain, then 2 demijohns of student brew which made your teeth screech. gave up and dumped everything in the garage never to see light again..... until i was furloughed :(
So as with many others in lockdown i needed to find something to do and being a little partial to anything with alcohol and my mrs and 19 year old daughter also enjoying a tipple buying a round at home is getting a little expensive and with the internet having lots of info and advice i have decided to give it another go.

So round 2 so far starting off slow :p (just cheap kits incase i failed again :p )and working up to all grain (i hope) im staying away from pb at the min but have just managed to buy a king keg top tap for 10 quid, i thought even if i dont end up using it as a keg it could always be used i have so far made
2 x different 40 pint cider kits one mixed berry and one cider and lime both have been racked and primed with 4 tsp sugar into 2ltr pet bottles and have been sat in garage for around 3 weeks now, both have very weak flavour but good carbonation and abv of around 6% (we drank one bottle of each to try after 2 weeks in bottle, needs a while longer yet)
2 x 6 bottle wine kits, one rose one merlot. the rose is bottled and back sweetened with ritchies wine sweetner to my mrs taste (way too sweet for me but she loves it), the merlot is still in the dj but looking like the next few days its going to finish.
1 x 60 bottle rose wine kit just waiting for me to bottle it today ( this one while the abv is 11% and it has a lovely colour is very very clear it has zero flavour at all )
and lastly a 5l absolutly clear spirit kit that claims 20% that is about 2 weeks in dj, got a pink gin and a white rum flavouring to put in this when done.
also last night started off a batch of wow thanks to this forum using fruit juices from aldi and co-op
next in line waiting for the rose to be bottled and free up the fv is a coopers 86 day pilsner that im going to try light spray malt in( bought 1kg but not decided yet how much to put in) , i am hoping this turns out well as ALL the above except for the merlot i have realy done to apease the mrs and daughter, fruit ciders are not my thing nor is rose wine. i like a nice strong flavoured lager so hope if this one turns out well my next step is to move over to all grain.

wow sorry was just going to say hello :p i would like to thank you all for all the info i have already read on this forum on my many visits lurking before i joined

thanks for the welcome, to add one of the things that brought me here was that the 6 bottle rose kit was struggling to clear, after 2 weeks settling in a cool place after end of fermenting and adding the stabaliser and clearing agent etc there was virtually no difference which is what led me here via google :p i had some leaf gelatin in cupboard so mixed one sheet with a touch of boiling water and added to demijohn, put it back in garage where it had failed to clear for 2 weeks and the next day it was clear :p although the sediment at bottom was very fluffy for want of a better description, so i lost half a bottle but it cleared it a treat. so again thanks to you all for the tip

Hello everyone,
I have been popping in and lurking the threads for a while so decided to join.
Around 10 years ago i tried home brewing with pretty poor results, leaking pb with a cheap lager kit ended up down the drain, then 2 demijohns of student brew which made your teeth screech. gave up and dumped everything in the garage never to see light again..... until i was furloughed :(
So as with many others in lockdown i needed to find something to do and being a little partial to anything with alcohol and my mrs and 19 year old daughter also enjoying a tipple buying a round at home is getting a little expensive and with the internet having lots of info and advice i have decided to give it another go.

So round 2 so far starting off slow :p (just cheap kits incase i failed again :p )and working up to all grain (i hope) im staying away from pb at the min but have just managed to buy a king keg top tap for 10 quid, i thought even if i dont end up using it as a keg it could always be used i have so far made
2 x different 40 pint cider kits one mixed berry and one cider and lime both have been racked and primed with 4 tsp sugar into 2ltr pet bottles and have been sat in garage for around 3 weeks now, both have very weak flavour but good carbonation and abv of around 6% (we drank one bottle of each to try after 2 weeks in bottle, needs a while longer yet)
2 x 6 bottle wine kits, one rose one merlot. the rose is bottled and back sweetened with ritchies wine sweetner to my mrs taste (way too sweet for me but she loves it), the merlot is still in the dj but looking like the next few days its going to finish.
1 x 60 bottle rose wine kit just waiting for me to bottle it today ( this one while the abv is 11% and it has a lovely colour is very very clear it has zero flavour at all )
and lastly a 5l absolutly clear spirit kit that claims 20% that is about 2 weeks in dj, got a pink gin and a white rum flavouring to put in this when done.
also last night started off a batch of wow thanks to this forum using fruit juices from aldi and co-op
next in line waiting for the rose to be bottled and free up the fv is a coopers 86 day pilsner that im going to try light spray malt in( bought 1kg but not decided yet how much to put in) , i am hoping this turns out well as ALL the above except for the merlot i have realy done to apease the mrs and daughter, fruit ciders are not my thing nor is rose wine. i like a nice strong flavoured lager so hope if this one turns out well my next step is to move over to all grain.

wow sorry was just going to say hello :p i would like to thank you all for all the info i have already read on this forum on my many visits lurking before i joined

Obligatory

But welcome, there's also no shame in first trying with DME on your way to AG, I mean, you get to test recipes and procedures without being too much dependent on your equipment acheers.

Back