15 minute IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgreenough

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a fast ipa using the 15 minute boil technique. The following ingredients will be used to make a 2 gallon batch.

1kg extra light DME
180g carad red malt
24g cascade at 15 mins
30g fuggles at 15 mins
12g cascade at 5 mins
12g cascade at flameout
US05 yeast

Method
Steep carared in 10 liters water until 170
Add DME before boil, to avoid boilover
Hop additions via hop schedule above

Not too sure on the starting 10 liters as i want 9 liters post boil, i am adding 1 liter for any soaked up by the carared and a little loss via hops and boil.

I haven't ever done a 15 min beer so this may be wrong, but is that enough to get an "IPA" especially an American style one?? A very quick throw together on brewmate suggests something like 30 IBUS for 8 liters

I haven't ever done a 15 min beer so this may be wrong, but is that enough to get an "IPA" especially an American style one?? A very quick throw together on brewmate suggests something like 30 IBUS for 8 liters
I made a similar all grain version last year that tasted great. That used 15g fuggles (at 45 mins) and 30g cascade (at 10 mins) for a 1 gallon batch. I am not going for full on bitterness but rather hoppy flavour. So may dry hop with 12g as well.

Looking at the calculations, if i double up on the hops at 15 mins fron 28g to 56g i can get the ibu to roughly 58

Yeah that sounds better, or you could just boil for longer.. Is time really that much of a constraint? Just seems an expensive method

Not really, i just read a few articles on 15 minute boils with dme and thought to give it a go. I am going to adjust the recipe anyway as i just weighed my hops and i only have 52g of cascade left. So going to do 24g cascade and 30g fuggles at 15 mins.

Just added the last of my cascade hops into the fv, to dry hop as i found a 15g piece that was mixed in with the fuggles.

Just thinking about sticking it in a pressure barrel or to bottle it. I can get a six pack of sparkling water for £1.50 (500ml bottles) so could be cheap to get a few packs of them just for the bottles, as it will work out as 25p per bottle.

Latest posts

Back