19-Mar-2011 Rauchbier (hardly)!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixale

Just getting me coat!
Reaction score
19-Mar-2011 Rauchbier (hardly)!

Batch Size (L): 50.00 Wort Size (L): 50.00
Total Grain (Kg): 11.10
Anticipated OG: 1.050
Anticipated EBC: 28.7
Anticipated IBU: 22.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.387

Grain
Amount Name Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.00 kg. Lager Malt(2-row) 1.037 3
2.60 kg. Munich Malt 1.037 17
2.00 kg. CaraMunich Type 3 1.033 150
0.50 kg. Rauch Malt 1.036 5

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Boadicea Whole 5.03 8.1 75 min.
80.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 3.00 12.9 75 min.
20.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 3.00 1.4 15 min.

Extras - 2 whirlfloc @ 15min.

Yeast - Danstar Munich - 4 packs

First attempt at a rauchbier and I reckon at least another 1kg of smoked malt was needed.
During cooling and filling the fermenter they was no smoked aroma at all and only a background flavour when tasting the trial jar sample.

Apart from that a good brew session. OG was spot on, but 3 litres short on final volume.
Only a 1hour lag time - the blowoff tube is already blowing bubbles every 30secs.

OG as expected, cracking colour and very clear.
rauchog.jpg

Hop debris in the copper.
rauch%20hopsend.jpg

looks like you had a good brewday :thumb: Never had a rauchbier let alone brewed one :eek: Anything you`d reccomend for a first try? (bought one that is)

I tried the "real" stuff, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, both the marzen and the weizen, but found them way to smokey.
Hence a recipe with only 4.5% smoked malt, but it it needs at least 10-15% as a starting point.

Checkout the brewery website for the full background

mixale said:
I tried the "real" stuff, Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, both the marzen and the weizen, but found them way to smokey.
Hence a recipe with only 4.5% smoked malt, but it it needs at least 10-15% as a starting point.

Checkout the brewery website for the full background

It is an acquired taste, but I love the stuff. I just might have a crack at a rauchbier in a couple of weeks (perhaps it's time to give the WLP550 a rest).

I am also deeply in love with the Brussels Lambic beers - last week I had a couple of bottles of Frank Boon's Mariage Parfait - utterly unbelievable (but again, an acquired taste - a couple of pals describe it as 'undrinkable, sour muck' - but I reckon it has all the characteristics of a magnificent champagne in beer form).

Latest posts

Back