1st AG Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuey

Events Organiser
Reaction score
..... Tomorrow :party:

Starter is on in the FV Fridge.

Saniclean made up in spray bottle.

All kit checked, double checked, triple checked and ready to go :D

Camera batts charged.

Just one more sleep!! :D :party:

38 litres Water in HLT and treatments added (AMS and Campden Tab Crushed)

P1020160.jpg

The Grain Shot

P1020157.jpg

Beautiful Morning at the brewery :D

P1020161.jpg

Grist in Mash Tun

P1020162.jpg

Underletting

P1020163.jpg

P1020164.jpg

Mash temp was 2 degrees low of my 67 deg target at 65 deg C. Added a kettle full of just off boiling water to bring it back up to 67 deg.
Deducted 1.7 litres of liquor from sparge water.
There is a 7 degree drop in liquor temp from inside HLT to the end of the transfer hose so I have adjusted my sparge liquor temp up to account for it.
Will be increasing Strike temp in future.

So the mash in on with 38 mins to go. STC 1000 holding temp in HLT nicely.

Hops weighed out and labelled up.

P1020165.jpg

Time for a nice coffee!

P1020166.jpg

First runnings jugged back in to MT

P1020167.jpg

Nice clear wort

P1020169.jpg

The runnings don't.. erm ... run as fast as I imagined they would. I guess the compacted grain bed limits the flow as it is filtering.

I reckon we will be looking at 1.5 hrs to get the wort out of the MT at current rate.

So... 1 hour 55 Mins to sparge :shock:

Ended up with 30 litres at a corrected 1049 SG pre boil.

1036 at 60 degrees C Pre boil
P1020172.jpg

Beersmith predicted 30.7 litres at 1042 SG pre boil so volume pretty close but SG not!

All in the boiler now and singing sweetly on its way to boil :)

And... Boiling :D

First addition in and just a smidge after Hot Break
P1020173.jpg

Second additions, Protofloc and IC in at 15 mins to go.

P1020174.jpg

4 mins to go then final addition. Flameout. Chiller on.

FV ready with paddle, wort aerator, sanitiser, hydrometer, trial jar, thermometer, boiler drain hose, and air lock in it to use chiller water.

Cold break

P1020176.jpg

Phew! bit Frantic at the end there :D

Aerated into FV via Cnelsonplumber patented wort aerator :D

P1020178.jpg

Ended up with 20 litres at 1063!!! :shock:

Liquored back to 23 litres at 1051

P1020179.jpg

Whitelabs 002 starter pitched at 27 with the temp dropping rapidly.... got carried away and didn't check temp before pitching so home I've not buggered up there! :) :doh:

All tucked up at 20 deg C for 7 days before racking into secondary onto 28 g of Cascade for a further 7 days.

P1020181.jpg

Crossing everything.

Clear up now :shock: :)

Had great day and have learned a great deal about how to streamline the process next time and hopefully how to improve sparging speed.

I think I need to have a greater drop between HLT and MT and then MT to FV where I drain into before tipping into boiler.... I couldn't get the transfer tube from the MT to the bucket to fill so there was little or no siphon effect to draw the wort through. I reckon if I can get more of a vertical line on the tube it might fill up and draw better.

Yes you certainly picked the right day. I'm going to brew tomorrow, bet it rains all day :roll:

How are you getting on?

joe1002 said:
Yes you certainly picked the right day. I'm going to brew tomorrow, bet it rains all day :roll:

How are you getting on?

Nice and relaxed (or trying to stay that way!!) :D

Sparging now... runnings very slow but nice and clear :thumb:

I reckon this mash is stuck...... Runnings are painfully slow...... 13 litres out of a pre boil volume of 30 litres after 1.5 hours of sparging. :(

Good brew day, well done!

Tip for the immersion chiller - try and have the hose connectors over the edge of the pot, so if a leak did occur it wouldn't be running into the pot :thumb:

To be fair, using the connectors you have, I doubt that would happen. Still, better safe than sorry!

BigYin said:
Good brew day, well done!

Tip for the immersion chiller - try and have the hose connectors over the edge of the pot, so if a leak did occur it wouldn't be running into the pot :thumb:

To be fair, using the connectors you have, I doubt that would happen. Still, better safe than sorry!

Cheers for the tip Mike :thumb: :)

It all went well apart from the sparge which was painfully slow! I just couldn't get it to run at 1L per minute. Ended up blowing up the tube 3 times over the space of 1.5 hours to try and clear it but it just bedded back down to a trickle.

Also seemed to get a lot of cold break material into the FV. I guess the Bazooka isn't that fine at the end of the day.

Trying to resist peeping in the fermenting fridge every 10 minutes now to see if it has kicked off yet!! Only been 5 hours since pitching the slurry from the starter but you know........ :D

try warming your mash tun before you start with some boiling water. will help you keep to your mashing temp more easily.

Well done, you know theres no going back now...

Latest posts

Back