1st go at Citra SMaSH with US-05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With a bit of help from Google and a bit of guess work, I had a brewday last week doing a citra smash.
Simple Maris otter and 100g citra.
Currently fermenting with safale US-05.
Not used this yeast before that I'm aware of but think it looks good and the brew fridge smells amazing.
60 of the citra is going to be dry hopped.

Attachments

• 20221030_191816.jpg
    20221030_191816.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 4
Yes turned out awesome, very light with a hint of lemon.
I've not much experience with yeasts as this was only my second all grain brew.
The only thing I noticed was the Krauzen held for a lot longer but went in the end.

What yeast do Oakham ales use in their single hop do you think? That’s a great beer.
I would guess it's their own house yeast. I have no particular knowledge of Oakham, but most breweries I've been around of that size (or larger) maintain their own house yeast rather than buying it in. Buying yeast is expensive and it grows for free in the brewery.

Last edited:
I’ve done this same recipe Maris otter and citra, got it in the fermenter now, dry hopped yesterday and should be ready to bottle on Saturday, looking forward to trying it!!
I did a similar smash recipe but with mosaic and it was lovely!

I would guess it's their own house yeast. I have no particular knowledge, but most breweries I've been around of that size (or larger) maintain their own house yeast rather than buying it in. Buying yeast is expensive and it grows for free in the brewery.

Edit - Just realised I've completely misread Oakham as Adnams

Apparently they use two strains (not sure if this is a dual strain house yeast or they use them separately for different beers).

One strain is periodically released by White Labs - WLP025 Southwold Yeast – VAULT STRAIN - The Malt Miller

Looks like Wyeast 1335 British Ale II is another strain Adnams uses too.

Last edited:
Would including a small amount of oats for mouth feel be a waste of time (I've read US-05 can be a bit crisp and my FG is planned for 1.010)? Or does that take it out of the realms of a SMASH beer?

Would including a small amount of oats for mouth feel be a waste of time (I've read US-05 can be a bit crisp and my FG is planned for 1.010)? Or does that take it out of the realms of a SMASH beer?
It does make it a DMASH beer at that point.

In my experience, oats don't actually add any mouthfeel. What you need for mouthfeel is RYE. At least ~15% rye, if not more.

I'll look a bit more into that. My Greg Hughes book say oats "add a smooth silky creaminess" while Rye adds some spiciness and should only be used in small quantities. I've only been AG brewing a 7 months so I've been taking that book as gospel.

Last edited:
Try emailing Oakham - you might get a response.

Years ago I asked them about Perun - which is a favourite of my missus. I got this back from the late Alex Kean, the head brewer at the time -

As far as making it goes , my advice is to use a low colour pale ale malt (we use low colour maris otter) with a bit of wheat malt and then load it all up with as much styrian goldings as you can put in – mostly at the end of the boil.

Try to use a yeast with hardly any flavour input and ferment it from 1054 to 1011 which will give you just over 5.5%.

I'll look a bit more into that. My Greg Hughes book say oats "add a smooth silky creaminess" while Rye adds some spiciness and should only be used in small quantities. I've only been AG brewing a 7 months so I've been taking that book as gospel.
Your nearer the mark, Rye does contribute to mouthfeel but not that much.
There are many raw materials that have high proportions of body-building compounds that are commonly used to increase the mouthfeel of beer. These include dextrin malt, malto dextrin, crystal malt, flaked barley, and flaked oats. Dextrin malt.

Back