1st go at the all grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euro

Reaction score
Picked these up and really looking forward to starting at the weekend by delving into my first attempt at all grain.Also bought the Bass and the Hobgoblin clone from Worcester hop shop (please edit mods if not allowed to advertise) so will be brewing up the Bass first as I loved it when I grew up in Northern Ireland . Then next week will give the Hobgoblin a go. Usually only do kit cans which I can't complain about at all but looking for that little bit extra. So please expect some questions and advice needed..

20170129_132838.jpg

That's 1 of 3..lol the other 2 are both black and worse than her..I think Saturday maybe a messy day as I will have the Nog,Sundew and IPA kegs next to me in the shed. But will have the heater and dvd player on watching films while doing the brew

Picked these up and really looking forward to starting at the weekend by delving into my first attempt at all grain.Also bought the Bass and the Hobgoblin clone from Worcester hop shop (please edit mods if not allowed to advertise) so will be brewing up the Bass first as I loved it when I grew up in Northern Ireland . Then next week will give the Hobgoblin a go. Usually only do kit cans which I can't complain about at all but looking for that little bit extra. So please expect some questions and advice needed..

I remember my first all-graim brew, the taste was a revelation for me. It tasted like a good craft ale from a supermarket.

I wouldn't attribute the quality in taste entirely to the all grain brewing process and ingredients. I think I improved my knowledge of brewing in general whilst researching the all-grain process.

Here's a free tip, make sure that your water boiler can maintain a rolling boil. Fill it with some water and test it. I had to re jig the wiring in mine. You don't want it cutting out with 5 gallons of hot wort inside.

Good luck with your first all-grain brew, I hope it turns out well! :thumb::thumb:

one of the software programs do a printable check list for your brew day, ive use it a few times, i like it, but can remember which one,

enjoy your brew day,

one of the software programs do a printable check list for your brew day, ive use it a few times, i like it, but can remember which one,

enjoy your brew day,
When was the last time you boiled am egg?
Only asking as it's no difficult to brewing beer and I mean no disrespect.Everyday is a school day and we all learn at sometime.🍺👍😋

Sent from my ALE-L21

Really wish you the best of luck and I'm with the guys who suggest making a checklist of procedure if you're not logged into BS or other software. Its not super complicated but I remember my first run at AG, I was really excited and wanted everything to be perfect the way it is in videos and such. Really, relax, slow down and dont worry too much about the absolute finer details such as temps to the exact nearest degree etc. The main thing is to enjoy it, you're soaking grain and boiling the juice, enjoy it.

Really wish you the best of luck and I'm with the guys who suggest making a checklist of procedure if you're not logged into BS or other software. Its not super complicated but I remember my first run at AG, I was really excited and wanted everything to be perfect the way it is in videos and such. Really, relax, slow down and dont worry too much about the absolute finer details such as temps to the exact nearest degree etc. The main thing is to enjoy it, you're soaking grain and boiling the juice, enjoy it.
My first thoughts were to jump on the bandwagon for not reading your full post but I did and fair play to you and your explanation 👍👍👍👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Best wishes for your first AG, make a tick list of the steps involved and tick them off as you do them then you wont forget anything.

This is a great idea. :thumb:

I use it myself and at the end of the day I know exactly what I forgot ... :doh:

... which is why I now no longer drink before the wort is cooled! :thumb:

This is a great idea. :thumb:

I use it myself and at the end of the day I know exactly what I forgot ... :doh:

... which is why I now no longer drink before the wort is cooled! :thumb:
Did you forget to do the checklist 😋😋

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Did you forget to do the checklist 😋😋

After about 8 pints it was a case of "Checklist? Oh, that Checklist!" as I forgot the Protofloc tablet ... :doh:

... and then remembered it and threw it in after the Aroma Hops! :thumb:

TBH it flocculated okay but it didn't have much of a hop aroma! :oops:

I now set each bit of the brew out on the bench in the garage (earliest nearest the door) and work myself along the bench as I tick stuff off the Recipe which acts as my Checklist.

Here's an extract from the recipe I used for the last brew:

PREPARATION
Rehydrate yeast.
Mill 5.50kg of Maris Otter.
Put out 0.25kg of ready milled Caramel.
Put out 0.25kg of ready milled Crystal.
Toast 0.50kg of Rolled Oats
Prepare 1 x 50g EKG Bittering Hops
Prepare 1 x 25g bags of EKG Aroma Hops.
Put out 1 x Protafloc Tablet.
Heat Strike Water to 78 degrees. (After Strike Water removed up temperature to 80 degrees for Sparge.)

MASH METHOD
Strike Water = 2.6 litres per 1kg of grain = 16 litres at 78 degrees
Mash at 65 to 70 degrees for one hour - DO NOT exceed 75 degrees.
Run off wort and circulate using TWO vessels until wort runs CLEAR.
Sparge at one litre per minute.
Stop sparge when runnings reach SG1.008 / SG1.012.
Weight down Mash Tun to extract last of wort.

BOIL METHOD
Boil with 50g of EKG Bittering Hops for 60 minutes.
Add Protafloc tablet and boil for 10 minutes.
Add 25g of EKG Aroma Hops for 5 minutes.
Turn off gas burner.
Cool to 20 degrees.
Create whirlpool after cooler removed and run off into FV.
Pitch yeast and ferment at 20 degrees.

I tick-off each bit as I do it and also use the Timer function on my phone for each event; again, something I would forget to do after a few pints! :whistle:

Back