1st SMaSH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Hi guys

Attempting my first ever SMaSH, it will be BIAB method with with volume of strike water c.15 litres, hoping to achieve 10 litres of beer.
I'm thinking of using Maris Otter and Mosaic hops but not sure of quantities and timings for the hop additions.
Any advice welcome....

My first ever all grain batch last year. Damn tasty as well.
7F884EF8-E5B4-463F-A743-66D5F3AA98E5.png

Not quite a smash but my go to beer:

APA smash:

4kg marris otter,
15g citra @ 60
25g of citra and same of cascade @ 20
25g of each @ 10 mins

50g cascade and 35g citra dry hop in a few days. Bottle or keg a few days after that. Love it.

This is to make approx 20 litres into the keg/bottles, probably a little less. I start with 22 litres and add 4 to 5 in the sparge (not much) and boil approx 25 litres, leaving about 20 litre in to the fermentation vessel, and 18 into my keg.

So could halve my recipe.

Not quite a smash but my go to beer:

APA smash:

4kg marris otter,
15g citra @ 60
25g of citra and same of cascade @ 20
25g of each @ 10 mins

50g cascade and 35g citra dry hop in a few days. Bottle or keg a few days after that. Love it.

This is to make approx 20 litres into the keg/bottles, probably a little less. I start with 22 litres and add 4 to 5 in the sparge (not much) and boil approx 25 litres, leaving about 20 litre in to the fermentation vessel, and 18 into my keg.

So could halve my recipe.
Thanks mate. Sounds lovely.
As I am doing BIAB method do you think I would need to increase the amount of grain and I'm guessing the efficiency would be less with a no sparge method?
Cheers

Yes I'd say you would, I've never biab so I can't say but how much. Mine comes out at about 4 percent, so I guess doing 2.5kg will keep you above that?

Latest posts

Back