1st WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cor blimey, i get the feeling homebrew has worse hangover effects than commercial stuff!! Or is it only because we have so much to choose from? :P

I have never had a hangover since switching from cheap supermarket wine to my own juice wines.

I have just spent the afternoon drinking 2 litres of my own brewed Festival Old Suffolk.

It is quite strong about 6%, and if I had consumed 4 cans of equivalent cider or beer from the supermarket on a warm sunny day, I would have a horrible headache by now and be reaching for the paracetamol.

But now I can feel the alcohol wearing off, but no other effects at all.

Excellent.

I wonder what they add to commercial beers/ciders which upsets my head?

Put another batch on this time I just did it all again x5. With the exception of citric acid (3tsp) and obviously same quantity of yeast and nutrient as you only need 1 tsp each.

Came out at 1.098 SG. Bubbling already this morning. The young yeast appears to be very fast acting indeed

You can get away with 3 teaspoons of yeast instead of 5 in a 22.5 litre wine, i was told this when i first started by a member here and i have never had one fail.

As far as i know, 1 tsp of Young's Super Wine yeast is enough up to 6 gallons so i only added the 1 tsp.

For anyone interested, the below recipe is for 5 Gallons (30-ish bottles):-

10 Litres Tesco Apple and Mango Juice (90% Apple from concentrate 10% Mango from concentrate)
4 bottles Wilco WGJ Concentrate
12 stewed TBAGS in 1 Litre water
4kg Sugar
4 tsp Pectalose
3 tsp Citric Acid
1 Tsp Young's Super Wine Yeast
1 tsp Young's Nutrient
Top up to 23 Litres with tap water.

SG should come out at 1.100 or thereabouts.

As far as i know, 1 tsp of Young's Super Wine yeast is enough up to 6 gallons so i only added the 1 tsp.

Its 1 heaped teaspoons per gallon (just checked my tub in the fridge) but as i said you can get away with 3 teaspoons in a 5 gallon wine.

I would add 2 more as stressed yeast can give off flavours.

aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Soo. Finally bottled tonight. Got 4 bottles plus 600ml extra that I decanted.

As you can see from the attached pictures it is crystal clear.

Now on to the review. It is absolutely delicious. However, I can't really taste any mango. It tastes strongly (being as sweet as it is) very much like a sweet German wine but with hints of apple. It certainly packs a punch as a glass of it went straight to my head.

Starting SG was 1.100 and ended at 1.000 giving me 13% ABV even though I topped up with water.

All in all, a great result and I will soon i will brew 5 gallons of the stuff. Anyone out there has any doubts? Don't, it's well worth it.

That does look very good.

Would you change the recipe if you were to do it again ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Oops sorry. I just read you've started a bigger batch with the same ingredients

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The 5gal batch is clearing as we speak. Should be ready to bottle any day now. Just waiting to pluck up the energy to sanitise and bottle 30!
Early days yet but it tastes exactly the same as the 1st batch so I'm happy

Hi guys, finally bottled this lot tonight. Tastes slightly sweeter which perhaps i could have left it longer before stabilising. But, having said that, it has loads more flavour and more full bodied. I easily feel if i added water to 6 Gallons i would have got away with it.

One to note, its slightly more yellow which may be due to the tannin. i would add less next time.

I think next I'm going to try the RGJ and Apple juice route for a rose. Do a 1gal first. I am more and more disinterested in doing kits now. They don't taste as good as WOWS. Haven't tried country ones yet though I don't have the patience for it

I think next I'm going to try the RGJ and Apple juice route for a rose. Do a 1gal first.
BF,
in your OP you said that you fermented in a *five* L ashburton PET.
Did you make the liquid up to 4 1/2 L - a gallon, or 5 L ?
Very impressive results, I'm running the figures through my mind
for my 12% version.
PS. You asked about airlocks on the tescos PET. I put a small freezer
bag over the top, held there by one of the rubber bands that the
posties drop everywhere. Haven't had any problems yet.
GOP.

Back