2016 Amarillo SMaSH. Oh. My. Goodness.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doglaner

Reaction score
�£8 for 100g of hops...?

Well you certainly get what you pay for!

These are awesome. I've just sniffed, measured out, sniffed, felt, sniffed and breathed in 30g of these little beauties and they are (can you tell?) utterly gorgeous.

I'm making a SMaSH with just 6kg of extra pale malt, plus Amarillo 2016 9% AA at the following schedule :

30g @ 60mins
25g @ 10 mins
30g at flameout
15g dry hop for the last 4 days of primary.

Had to post this as I was so excited. Picture imminently to show how absolutely green they are.

I've got sticky fingers from measuring.

Right enough ecstatic ramblings. On with the boil!!

Dog.

image.jpg

��£8 for 100g of hops...?

Well you certainly get what you pay for!

These are awesome. I've just sniffed, measured out, sniffed, felt, sniffed and breathed in 30g of these little beauties and they are (can you tell?) utterly gorgeous.

I'm making a SMaSH with just 6kg of extra pale malt, plus Amarillo 2016 9% AA at the following schedule :

30g @ 60mins
25g @ 10 mins
30g at flameout
15g dry hop for the last 4 days of primary.

Had to post this as I was so excited. Picture imminently to show how absolutely green they are.

I've got sticky fingers from measuring.

Right enough ecstatic ramblings. On with the boil!!

Dog.

Classic Australian hop... Sorry, couldn't help meself :whistle:

11.30pm and in bed. Started at 5.30 so 6 hours. Everything is cleaned and drying and still a bit of tidying to do, but it's done.

And what a smell!

Ended up with 15 l after the boil, at 1070. Diluted down to 21 l @ 1050.

I'm losing almost 2l in the boiler due to the tap hole being so high up. It might be time to invest in something with either a false bottom or a lower tap. 2l undiluted would be an extra 4-5 bottles, which is significant, although I wouldn't get the full amount back.

Anyway, very pleased so far. Let's see what happens next.

Night.

Dog.

I may be demonstrating a lack of knowledge here, but could you not tip the boiler to get the last couple of litres over the tap hole?

I did that, but there was still about a litre left. The rest I squeezed from the trub so that is just to be expected.

The tap hole sticks into the boiler a fair way, as there is a joint piece which connects the inside of the tap, which is pretty flush with the side of the boiler, to the hop filter.

Your question has made me think though, and maybe it's time to use a hop sock or some such rather than the bazooka, and just have the flush tap end to deal with.... that might be worth a shot. It'd be a lot less messy to get rid of the hops that way, too. Hmm.....

Thanks for the comment.

Dog.

Latest posts

Back