24hrs no visible fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalozo

Reaction score
Hi,

I started a Wilko artisan Traditional Bitter 1.8kg Kit yesterday with 500g of Muntons Spray Malt Medium and 500g of Wilko brewing sugar. In addition I had half a crushed campden tablet and a flat teaspoon of Wilko yeast nutrient plus the yeast that came with the kit. It is a 40 pint kit.

Temperature has been about 20'C. It has been over 24hrs and so far there has been no visible fermentation on the airlock and there doesn't seem to be any gas if the bin lid is pushed down.

All the previous kits I have done have got going pretty quickly. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Chris

Should I be concerned?
Nah, not yet. ideally if you've got a hydrometer then sanitise it and throw it in and see if there's been any movement.

Did you aerate it? If not give it a thrashing with a long spoon. It's still early enough where it'll be fine to do that.

Should I be concerned?
No

Fermentation can often take longer than 24 hours - activity in the airlock (or lack of it) doesn't mean that fermentation has not started - if there is a tiny gap between the lid and the bucket this might be where the CO2 is escaping

Just relax and enjoy some beer

I would hold back on the Camden tab next time, but agree with the above - no need to fret yet. Keep warm and wait a couple of days. See what happens.

Thanks for the comments - the fermentation started over night and is going strong.

I have had mixed advice on the Campden tablets - people have previously suggested using half a crushed tablet to remove chloramine and chlorine from tap water?

OK thanks so Campden OK to use but in future I should add 24hrs in advance. It is the first time I have used them so hoping to eliminate that homebrew taste I sometimes get

No need to leave it. Half a tablet is more than enough for 23 litres.

Latest posts

Back