25 litre cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyb

Landlord.
Reaction score
im starting a 25 litre turbo cider type brew, :party:

but im thinking of a slight twist, :hmm:
20 litres of apple juice,[ lidls 1.5l cartons,]86p each
3 cartons of pineapple juice
2 cartons of orange juice,
i kg of sugar
5 tsp of yeast nutrient
1 pack of sn9 premium wine yeast,

what do you guys think,

should i add anything else, pectolase,tannin....etc

pectolyse definitly about 5 teaspoons
if your looking for a low alc. drink thats finished quick youl be ok if you want it a bit stronger like a wurzels youll need more sugar which will be approx. 2kg(depending on the sugar content of the juice

right shes off..... :party:

25th of may.....[for future reference]

20 litres of apple juice,
2 cartons of pineapple juice
1 carton of orange juice,
1 litre of hot water with 1 kg of sugar dissolved into it
3 tsp of yeast nutrient
5 tsp pectolase
2 tsp citric acid...[for luck]
1 pack of sn9 premium wine yeast,
all rounds up to 25 litres... :clap:

22 deg temp

Sounds like a damn fine making.
You may regret the citric acid, but "Splenda" will always come to the rescue.

the room temp has dropped to 20 deg, and nothing happened,... :(

NOW... 2 days in,
it has 3'' of foam on top and some had made it into the airlock, [removed and changed] so its all good.... :party:

i use citric acid in my juice wines and they come out really well, so i added a couple to the apple juice,

yep its definatly fermenting, found it like this today...

it went from this...
DSCF5266.jpg

to this.... :shock: :shock:

i cant belive the lid did not pop off..... :eek:
DSCF5276.jpg

Tee hee!
Yes, been there, dunnit!
I now only use 20ltrs of AJ untill the "Mad Moment" has passed, then I add the rest.
The best lessons are always the hard ones!!!

Lookin good :thumb: I love TC combos now :cool:

Instead of using Splenda try ASDA sweetening granules in yellowy plastic jar, same ingredients as Splenda but alot cheaper :thumb:

I also add glycerine now to my TCs, for a 25L batch I would add a small bottle(supermarket cake section)

It will be interesting to see if it does actually clear, and whether it does have a hint of pineapple :hmm:

I have just done a I gal batch of TC with AJ and 'apple and pear' tea granules, also asda - It took about a week to finish primary and its starting to clear nicely after 24hrs in the bottle.

:cheers: CS

were have now started drinking some of this one, and its came out very well,
not much hint of pineapple,but it is a bit sweeter than others i have done,
i made half of it still and half fizzy,and both are good..... :party:

made a 4ltr batch of TC earlier tonight with pear and blackcurrant juice, a cup of sugar, a handful of raisins boiled down in a cup of water, reduced by half then sieved into the brew, shook, added sugar, shook again then added yeast

I made a 3ltr batch and it was bubbling like mad within 10 mins, this one has been made about 2 hrs and not bubbling, i take it cos theres more juice it would take longer to ferment? there may be slightly less yeast, I tried to use half a pack for my first brew but may have went over. will it still bubble eventually? it might be a lower percentage which isnt a problem. its bright pink! quality stuff!

meant to ask is it easy enough to pour into bottles or is it better getting a syuphon tube to prevent the ***** on the bottom getting into the bittles?
:drink:

Check the label on the juice to be sure there's no stabilisers or sorbate...that will slow fermentation, its kinda like birth control for yeast. :grin:

Best to syphon imo, each time you tip to pour you'll disturb the sediment and end up with mud in the last bottles.

I've thrown out the juice box but theres a good bit of foam at the top, there is a drip of water on the u-bend of the air lock so thats the problem, theres a dribble of water running down the side of the jug so ive managed to cellotape the side to stop the leak and its started to bubble slowly, :D

Samarith said:
Check the label on the juice to be sure there's no stabilisers or sorbate...that will slow fermentation, its kinda like birth control for yeast. :grin:

Best to syphon imo, each time you tip to pour you'll disturb the sediment and end up with mud in the last bottles.
ive got a little bottler with my fv that has a tap but my TC is just a 5 litre jug.cthanks for your help though :thumb:

Latest posts

Back