2nd BIAB a bitter with Golden Syrup?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanJones

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to do my 2nd BIAB, first was a dark mild which worked out well.

I've got 1.5Kg of pale malt left and my local HBS only sells it in 3kg bags so was going to try using some golden syrup as some of the fermentables and maybe add some flavour?

Just a test 12L Batch here goes

1.5 Pale Malt
200g Crystal Malt
50g Chocolate Malt

Mashed at 66C for 90 mins

about 300g golden syrup added 10 mins from end of boil.

20g Fuggles @ 60mins
10g Fuggles @ 30mins
20g Goldings @ 15mins
10@ Goldings @ 5mins

Brewtarget comes out with
OG 1.039
FG 1.008
IBU 30.6

I was spot on with OG first time but only got an FG of 1.016 but did Mash at 70C and maybe the syrup will ferment easier? - not expecting 1.008 though!

Thanks in advance Alan

I'd agree with clibit the recipe doesn't look worrying and you will get beer. I make wine and always invert my sugar for it (simmer 1.5lb with a teaspoon of citric acid for about 15 -20 mins) when you taste what is left in the pan it tastes very like Lyles. Actually I wonder about inverting my own sucrose for beermaking too 49p for a kilo of sugar and a few coppers for the citric is cheaper than £2 for a bag of brewing sugar. (Any thoughts clibit)

I added Honey to a blonde beer I made with partial mash and extract. I added it right at flame out and it turned out a fantastic beer, not sure what exactly the honey would have added or what it would have been like without it.

Cheers guys.

Did a 12L mash @ 66 and managed to keep the temp constant by wrapping up the pot in towels and some bubble wrap. Then brought it up to 75, took out the bags of grain and ran about 4L of water over them in the fermenter and left them while the pot came up to boil. I added this water over the course of the boil. I did think i had more than 12L in the pot at the end but i guess the hops take up a bit of room.

Anyway ended up with a OG of around 1.042 after topping up to 14L to help cooling. I played with the figures in Brewtarget and Brewersfriend and the only they work is if I got arounf 95% effiecency. Can this be right?

Guess i should take a pre boil reading next time as will this effect the bitterness?

Latest posts

Back