2nd hand barrel cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbloke

Reaction score
Hi
Over the weekend managed to source a nice barrel and fv both of which have only been used once.
The barre has a small amount of residue in the bottle and i have had it soaking with campdon tablets but i cannot reach it with a bottle brush..any clues or tips would be greatly appreciated.
would oxyplus shift it or is it a case of improvising a brush that will reach?

cheers

fatbloke :D

its worth giving oxy a go, add a strong measure to hot water in the barrel, give a good shake and leave for 30 mins to an hour. metabisulphate wont clean anything like oxy.

adomant said:
its worth giving oxy a go, add a strong measure to hot water in the barrel, give a good shake and leave for 30 mins to an hour. metabisulphate wont clean anything like oxy.

thanks for that
:D

I managed to remove some sediment that had set like concrete on the bottom of my barrel using gravel. I had some left over from when I set my fish tank up but I don't think it's very expensive. I gave the gravel a good rinse then put some in a pan (you need enough to just cover the bottom of your barrel, roughly 4 coffee mugs full) then boiled it for a few minutes. Tip it all in the barrel with about 5 pints of water put the cap on then give it a good swirl round and the gravel acts like a scourer and brings the sediment off easily. I took a few goes to get all the gravel out but a good shake and plenty of water left it looking very clean. Just make sure you don't get gravel that is too sharp or it will leave scratches, the one I used was called pea gravel about 3 - 5 mm big.

Hope that helps

:cheers:

droche said:
I managed to remove some sediment that had set like concrete on the bottom of my barrel using gravel. I had some left over from when I set my fish tank up but I don't think it's very expensive. I gave the gravel a good rinse then put some in a pan (you need enough to just cover the bottom of your barrel, roughly 4 coffee mugs full) then boiled it for a few minutes. Tip it all in the barrel with about 5 pints of water put the cap on then give it a good swirl round and the gravel acts like a scourer and brings the sediment off easily. I took a few goes to get all the gravel out but a good shake and plenty of water left it looking very clean. Just make sure you don't get gravel that is too sharp or it will leave scratches, the one I used was called pea gravel about 3 - 5 mm big.

Hope that helps

:cheers:

Fantastic idea that..rather like when a brickie chucks a few broken bricks into the cement mixer to clean it :thumb:

...or you could use rice...does the same job without the risk of a rogue pointy bit scratching the surface.

andyrebo said:
...or you could use rice...does the same job without the risk of a rogue pointy bit scratching the surface.
just used this method because we had a bag of rice at hand and it works a treat.. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back