3rd November 2012 - Effin Oatmeal stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok about time I did another batch of this, and while I'm trying to wake up a tube of WLP0838 that went out of date in may I may as well do it because its going to be a quick one :)

Aiming for 80L at 1.052. 31 IBU and 68EBC (75% Efficiency and Tinseths)

12000g Pale Malt
2250g Flaked Oats (Toasted - 45 Minutes in oven at 150C Or until golden brown :roll:)
1000g Chocolate Malt
1000g Flaked Barley
750g Brown Malt
750g Crystal 120EBC
250g Roast Barley

The Oats, Flaked Barley and 500g of pale malt will under go a glucan rest, but the main mash will use a Hochkurz mash schedule with this one, (30 minutes at 60C and then 60 Minutes at 70C), as I want to try and get as much fermentability as possible and a lot of those grains don't convert that well at all.

A 90 Minute boil with

175g Bramling Cross Hops (5.8% Alpha for 60 Minutes)
25g Bramling Cross (5.8% Alpha steep at 80C)

I'm hoping to get more blackcurrant/Blackberry flavour coming through from the hops than the last batch. (I'm waiting on an order from Rob at the Malt Miller before I know the actual alpha values of the hops :oops:)

Once fermentation is finished, I'm going to dry hop two of the cornies with cocoa nibs one with vanilla pods and also put vanilla pods in with one of those with cocoa. It should give me a nice comparison between 'plain' stout, chocolate stout, vanilla stout and chocolate vanilla stout. I picked chocolate and vanilla because i think they will complement the creamy smoothness of the base oatmeal stout particularly well . . . I may even do an espresso version, depending on how much I make

So what happens when you ruin a batch of this quantity?
:lol: come on B, no need to be so miserable :tongue:
Loving the sound of the comparison brews T, right up my street :cool: Looking forward to the brew day pics :whistle: and if you need a taste tester :drink: :grin:
How long is it since the last brew...you must have almost as much dust on your gear as me :oops: :lol:

Vossy1 said:
How long is it since the last brew...you must have almost as much dust on your gear as me :oops: :lol:
Why Cheek! . . . I last brewed on 9th September . . . Going to bottle it this weekend.

I think it was August I last Brewed . . . . . 2010 :oops:

Of course I don't really count the batches brewed at Wibblers

I want to make a 25L version of your effin' oatmeal stout. I can changed the quantities in BeerSmiith but does anyone already have one?

Also there seems to be a few different versions floating around the forum. Is this the definitive version? One version has no aroma hops just a 90min boil??

Belter said:
I want to make a 25L version of your effin' oatmeal stout. I can changed the quantities in BeerSmiith but does anyone already have one?
can't help there as I use Promash

Belter said:
Also there seems to be a few different versions floating around the forum. Is this the definitive version? One version has no aroma hops just a 90min boil??
I tend to play around with each version to tweak the characteristics, This time I've decided to bring the blackcurrant flavours forward from the hops. I've also swapped the barley/oat ratio around a bit as well to introduce more creaminess.

Belter said:
Also are you using WLP838 Southern German Lager Yeast?
I will be for my pilsner, but as it went out of date in May, it needs to be grown up in a starter, so I thought I would brew a batch of this.

Yeast Wise, I tend to go for Nottingham, but this time I'm thinking dual strain with US05 and Windsor

Cool. Just playing around with this one now. I've never done a Glucan Rest before. Is it worth attempting this with a BIAB set up or is it just not possible?

This is what I get in Beersmith for a 25L batch (I always do 25L as BIAB means I get a better efficiency than 23L).

Effin' Oatmeal Stout MkII
Oatmeal Stout
Type: All Grain Date: 29/10/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l Brewer:
Boil Size: 34.98 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Electric Urn (10 Gal/40 L) - BIAB
End of Boil Volume 28.08 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 23.60 l Est Mash Efficiency 75.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.72 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 66.0 %
0.70 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) Grain 2 12.4 %
0.33 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 3 5.9 %
0.31 kg Barley, Flaked (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 5.5 %
0.25 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 5 4.4 %
0.25 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 6 4.4 %
0.08 kg Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 7 1.5 %
54.74 g Bramling Cross [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 30.2 IBUs
7.81 g Bramling Cross [5.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
0.3 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 10 -
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 30.2 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 56.8 EBC

Aleman said:
Belter said:
So what happens when you ruin a batch of this quantity?
A lot of slugs die happy :evil:

That was probably the most grim thing i've ever heard on here. Genuine anger.

Anyway, hope it goes well bud. To give you some insight, I brewed a batch of ruby ale with all bramling x.

At a 10L (2 gallon) batch, here was my schedule;

Code:
10L Batch Size
9L Boil Volume (Top up)
OG: 1.048 (est)
Recorded OG: 1.052
SRM: 13
IBU: 41

1.2kg Pale
200g Wheat Malt

250g Caramalt
200g CaraGold
50g Chocolate Malt

20g Bramling X @ 60min (29 IBU)
10g Bramling X @ 20min (9 IBU)
10g Bramling X @ 0min (3 IBU)

The flavour was obvious and the currant flavour came through a treat after a few months. I will say whether it was the malt or hops I don't know, but it did have a weird dusty farty taste to it for quite a while. Only now from august has it worn off enough - if you get it, it will dissipate with time. To get the same amount of aroma hit you'd need 100g bramling at 0 mins...

Just food for thought I hope. good luck with it mr man of ale :thumb:

Belter said:
Cool. Just playing around with this one now. I've never done a Glucan Rest before. Is it worth attempting this with a BIAB set up or is it just not possible?
That is one of the benefits of a BIAB set up, you can do the glucan rest in the main mash and use direct heat (with stirring of course) to bring it up to the saccharification rest.

I have the facility to do that myself, but I continue to use a seperate pan to do it, as it makes things more controllable, and less of a rush in an already busy schedule.

Is it essential . . . probably not as one reason for it is to break down the sticky glucans to make the mash easier to lauter and sparge . . . of course with BIAB that is not a problem. I do think it helps to promote that wonderful creamy texture that you get with using oats however.

Aleman said:
Belter said:
That is one of the benefits of a BIAB set up, you can do the glucan rest in the main mash and use direct heat (with stirring of course) to bring it up to the saccharification rest.

I have the facility to do that myself, but I continue to use a seperate pan to do it, as it makes things more controllable, and less of a rush in an already busy schedule.

Is it essential . . . probably not as one reason for it is to break down the sticky glucans to make the mash easier to lauter and sparge . . . of course with BIAB that is not a problem. I do think it helps to promote that wonderful creamy texture that you get with using oats however.

Great I'll do some research and get right on it. Did you think my grain bill and hops etc looked ok?

Belter said:
Great I'll do some research and get right on it. Did you think my grain bill and hops etc looked ok?
I'd probably want to aim for 1.052-1.055 . . you're just a tad lower. Up the pale malt by 0 .5Kg should do it

As for hops they don't feature prominently in stouts so your additions are fine.

When you say steep the hops at 80 degrees do you add at 80 degrees and continue cooling or add at 80 degrees for X minutes and then continue cooling?

Ridley

Just sorting out a grain order now. Flaked oats are just porridge oats right? Like Quakers or something? I've read on an American forum I need the 'quick cook' variety??? Ready Brek?

Latest posts

Back