4 hop India Pale Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Been brewing a few Lagers lately and i don't find they have enough hops so going to have a go at an IPL. How does this sound? I have loads more hops i could throw in. Plan to dry hop and probably add a tea as well.

25kg batch
efficiency 70%
4.6 ABV
36 IBU
SRM 4
OG 1046
FG 1010

5kg German Pilsner
100g Biscuit
100g Crystal 30
WLP830 yeast

50g saaz @60
15g citra @15
15g Amarillo @15
10g citra @0
10g Amarillo @0
10g Nelso Sauvin @0

Use at least twice this many hops at 0 min and dry hop too, with a similar amount. This will give you a more hoppy beer.
It'll be nice

Good idea Chris, i like hoppy too, cant get enough. Have you tried the 4hop Lager from Lidl? 99p a 330ml bottle. Got my inspiration from that. Its extremely moreish and satisfying. Don't often drink Lager any more but that is delicious imho.
What about adding 2% Melanoidin as well?

This came out really well despite being frozen. Almost like an IPA but a bit less hopped. Crisp and clean and very drinkable. Gutted i only got 30 bottles. Straight out of the cupboard into the freezer and down the hatch. Love the brulosophy method and WLP830 yeast.

This came out really well despite being frozen. Almost like an IPA but a bit less hopped. Crisp and clean and very drinkable. Gutted i only got 30 bottles. Straight out of the cupboard into the freezer and down the hatch. Love the brulosophy method and WLP830 yeast.

I think WLP830 is the liquid version of Saflager W-34/70. Maybe give that a go next time?

The WLP830 is a all purpose german yeast giving a clean malty finish, If you like Marzan -Oktoberfest malty beers try the WLP820 its a low temp slow fermenting Oktoberfest yeast , but it make superb beer. I bought a vile of it and its on its third batch.I just took an Oktoberfest off the yeast and put 30ltr 6kg pure liquid amber malt with Hallertau hops straight back on the same yeast. :thumb:

I've got a lager on the go at the minute and read the brulosophy article last night. Does it definitely work as in a clean lager?

I did something similar recently with Cascade and Amarillo dry hopped. 25g of each and it came out a bit ott; needed a couple of months conditioning but it's fairly pleasant now.

I've got a lager on the go at the minute and read the brulosophy article last night. Does it definitely work as in a clean lager?

Sorry Mozza didn't see this until now. Yes it definitely works but i think you need to use finings to cut down on the time. I fermented at 10c for about 5days until the OG has halved then ramp it up to 18c for a diacetol rest. Once it tastes ok cold crash for a few days then add finings and bottle.

Make sure you use a really large starter and decant the wort of the top. I used WLP830, smells of farts when fermenting but conditions out.

Latest posts

Back