40lt Buffalo Boiler problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentall

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All, just started my 4th all grain brew after buying the above boiler which was going to be worthy white shield, but after 15 mins boiler stopped boiling leaving me with 28lts of wort and no way to boil it.Just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems with the Buffalo boiler and how they overcame them.The boiler is only about 4 months old if that and i expected a bit more life than that out of it. Took the bottom off but all looks ok but obviously it isn't. :cheers: ken

yes Orange,it was all working ok then everything stopped.the lights went out and stopped heating,took the bottom panel off and all looks fine, changed fuses but still nothing. :wha: ken

Others have reported problems with the 'Boil Dry' cut out operating at much lower temperatures than it should - Gurtpint I think was the first. It can be replaced with one that operates correctly . . . Or bypassed ;)

(*) Take extreme care if bypassing the boil dry cut out - Always switch on with water in the boiler

:cheers: Aleman but would the cut out stop all lights etc coming on,basically when i plug it in (with water in)& switch on nothing illuminates or happens. :cheers:

Hi Fermentall,

It just so happens that I've had a few 'incidents' with my Buffalo 40 litre too. I'm becoming very well acquainted with its inner gubbins... :lol:

If it's totally dead (no indicator light, no power switch light) then I suspect it's the thermal fuse that's popped.

You'll find it's the very first component on the live side, underneath a white sheath, held in place with a metal clip next to the element.

Bypass it to see whether you get power again - BUT check the reason why it popped in the first place, or you may get problems later on (as, indeed, I did :oops: )

Nisbets supply replacements as spares, but with P&P they're REALLY expensive. Have a look on Ebay or Maplin for a suitable alternative.

It's a Microtemp G5A01, rated at 144 degrees C.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
FB.

thanks FB & JB gonna let the brother in law have a look at weekend but if i need bits i will give you a shout, :cheers: for the advice & offer :thumb: ken

Latest posts

Back