90 minute brewday - Raw beer - Kveik Hornindal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right... I'm drinking a glass this min. On Wed eve the ferment kicked off. Was done by Thurs eve. Currently at 1017. Might drop a bit more over the next few days. Kveik is a different beast altogether. Fascinating.

I fermented in a corny keg. First pour off (slurry!) went into a 500ml PET bottle using a sterile party tap. (I boiled it). Now I have a starter for the next brew.

Aroma: B.O (yep) and a bit weedy.

Taste - yeast: I've never ever tasted anything like this. Have brewed with Voss before. This is very different. No tropical flavour. Not surprised as I was only able to ferment it at 24c - 27c. Apparently it needs to be sitting at 30+c for that. Thankfully it doesn't taste like B.O. I'm getting mushroom, damp/rotting wood, honey and a touch of caramel. Insane profile. The mouthfeel is so so so so super soft, too. Unbelievably pillowy. I can see why this is a hit with NEIPAs if brewed at a higher temp for those tropical notes.

Taste - malt: Difficult to make any comments here as the yeast is massively dominating everything. The beer does taste 'raw' and super earthy. How much of this is down to not boiling the wort, I don't know. It certainly tastes very full bodied and 'substantial' though.

Check out this 'exbeeriment' on 'raw' vs boiled. Pretty interesting: exBEERiment | No-Boil Effect: Evaluating The Impact On Hazy IPA

Not bitter enough; would double the bittering hop tea next time to 30g.

Important to note that this beer was brewed 4 days ago. Still super cloudy - looks like a NEIPA. I'm drinking a lot of yeast with every mouthful. Will crash cool on Sunday and add finings on Monday then get it into the keezer. Looking forward to another taste test next week!

Oh... have I enjoyed this glass of beer? I'm not sure... The mushroom flavour brings back bad memories...

Last edited:
Top effort.

Sounds……… interesting.

I found that when I have used hornindal, your mushroom comment brought back memories of drinking a stout made with it 🤮 (was fine after a couple of weeks though)

It’ll mellow out with conditioning I reckon.

And you’ll be farting like a good’en tomorrow after pint of yeast 😂

Have you seen the Craft Beer Channel YouTube video where he made a 36 hour beer?

Top effort.

Sounds……… interesting.

I found that when I have used hornindal, your mushroom comment brought back memories of drinking a stout made with it 🤮 (was fine after a couple of weeks though)

It’ll mellow out with conditioning I reckon.

And you’ll be farting like a good’en tomorrow after pint of yeast 😂

Have you seen the Craft Beer Channel YouTube video where he made a 36 hour beer?
:laugh8::laugh8:

I have! Great episode. Great channel.

Good work that man. My concern with this kind of experiment is always "what to do with the other 39 bottles" if I really don't like it.

Sounds like that's not a problem.

My test will be with same yeast, so just "no boil"

Good work that man. My concern with this kind of experiment is always "what to do with the other 39 bottles" if I really don't like it.

But that's the same whenever you brew something new. A glass of saison may be appealing but do you want your next 39 glasses to be banana flavoured?

Good man. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. A lot of NEIPA brewers go raw. Big breweries too. No need to worry about bittering. Steeping and dry hopping is per usual. I'm planning one of these over easter. Will be using Verdant yeast though; this Kveik kinda scares the hell outa me. Mushroomy IPA anyone?

One piece of advice. After mash out, bring the wort up to 80c and hold it there for 15 mins. Anything below and enzymes can survive and keep breaking down sugars in the fermenter: Dry beer! Anything above and there is possibility of DMS issues (apparently!) Can get the steeping editions in there so no time wastage.

My beer fermented out a bit more overnight. Spunding valve needle has shot up.

Fingers crossed the mushroom flavour fecks off or at least takes a back seat.

P.S, glad to see that are here too. JBK all very quiet these days.

Cheers, Good to be here. Bit more life 😁
One piece of advice. After mash out, bring the wort up to 80c and hold it there for 15 mins. Anything below and enzymes can survive and keep breaking down sugars in the fermenter: Dry beer! Anything above and there is possibility of DMS issues (apparently!) Can get the steeping editions in there so no time wastage.

This is taking shape now.
I might squeeze that up to 85c for 30m. This is my current hop stand, with 50g cascade. Sorted.

I can also lob 40g in with the mash (at dough in) I think this might solve the bittering. Might up this to 60g

Just need to find the clearing/protofloc solution now.

Ideas anyone ?

Last edited:
Cheers, Good to be here. Bit more life 😁

This is taking shape now.
I might squeeze that up to 85c for 30m. This is my current hop stand, with 50g cascade. Sorted.

I can also lob 40g in with the mash (at dough in) I think this might solve the bittering. Might up this to 60g

Just need to find the clearing/protofloc solution now.

Ideas anyone ?
Chuck the protofloc in for the hop stand? Might do the trick.

OK this is going on tonight....

RAW Cascade session ale

This is for 23l on a BM20.
Water treated for to 80ppm alk.
5 litres less water added (no boil = no steam)

Overnight mash...
4kg maris otter
500g wheat malt.
60g UK cascade pellets in malt tube.
67c mash 60m

Next morning...
Mash will be complete
Pump on
Heat on @83c
add 60g cascade to malt tube
Run for 30mins.
No protofloc (no boil)

Then... malt tube & hops out.
Setup for Overnight chill & runaway.

Next day
Fermentation as normal.....
Yeast: CML midland (Nottingham) @ 19c
Bottle prime ½ tsp on day 7 no cold crash. Bottle from warm still @ 19c.
Maintain bottles @ 19c for 7 days.

Last edited:
OK this is going on tonight....

RAW Cascade session ale

This is for 23l on a BM20.
Water treated for to 80ppm alk.
5 litres less water added (no boil = no steam)

Overnight mash...
4kg maris otter
500g wheat malt.
60g UK cascade pellets in malt tube.
67c mash 60m

Next morning...
Mash will be complete
Pump on
Heat on @83c
add 60g cascade to malt tube
Run for 30mins.
No protofloc (no boil)

Then... malt tube & hops out.
Setup for Overnight chill & runaway.

Next day
Fermentation as normal.....
Yeast: CML midland (Nottingham) @ 19c
Bottle prime ½ tsp on day 7 no cold crash. Bottle from warm still @ 19c.
Maintain bottles @ 19c for 7 days.
Nice. Looking forward to the updates!

What's the latest MB?

So, just poured another glass. yeast has dropped out and thankfully, so has the mushroom taste. Fizzed slightly, too. Still carbing, though. This has really aided character; the beer feels more 'awake' now and dare I say it, tropical notes are present. :-) Musky, musty dankness has massively subsided. I'm happy to say that this is a beer that I will enjoy drinking. Phew!

OK latest brew is fermenting on Nottingham.

Very pleased with process. Beer smells & tastes right for where it is at.

Mind blowing. With no boil, you could program a BM to make handsfree beer.

Can't wait to taste this. Thanks Floyd for this, not been this innovative in ages.

Great to hear your experience has been positive so far. :-)
Having a big ole glass of mine at the min. Down to 1.014 now. Tasting even better than it did on Wed. Buzzing!

I'm getting more on the malt now because the mad Kveik has settled out. It tastes chewy and 'substantial' if that makes sense. Gorgeous lacing down the glass, too. Tight foamy head. You'd swear there was wheat in there.

Can not wait to do my next raw beer. Going to try Kveik Laerdal with a NEIPA. Pineapple flavours galore apparently.

Looking forward to hearing your tasting notes MB!

I am genuinely looking forward to trying mine. Foam is protein based, so I sort of expected noboil to have a good head.

Not sure I can switch to the darkside tho..

Well day 4, time to dig through the leather krausen.
Don't normally skim, but wanted to taste it, and this is much thicker than normal.

Tastes OK. Bit orangey. Lacking bitterness and carbonation but its probably going to be OK.

Will give it a couple more days and bottle it.

The jug is showing about ½ litre of skimmings. Convinced it is yeast, never seen this much before 😱.
I have added a mug of flour and some water to it, to confirm.

Attachments

• 20230402_115258.jpg
    20230402_115258.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230402_114638.jpg
    20230402_114638.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back