a quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanoD

Reaction score
would adding clear honey to a geordie bitter kit spoil it or improve it ? obviously i will still brew using 1kg of brewing sugar

if you want to improve it , go to the nearist window and throw out the brewing sugar and pop off and get some medium dried spray malt :thumb: :D forget the honey for a bitter for priming use sugar ( it makes almost no difference cuz small amount)

i would agree, use at least 500g of spraymalt with that kit using all sugar would produce a thin beer

cheers for your replies i will try and get to my local homebrew shop and pick up some spray malt :D would brown sugar be better to prime bottles with rather than normal sugar ?

you could use brown sugar if you wanted but priming sugar is a fairly small amount of the total brew so it wont make a massive flavour difference

How much honey would you need to add to a brew if you want to create a distinctive honey flavour (let's say equivelant to something like Honey Dew)? If you do this, should you remove any of the sugar/malt/dextrose to compensate?

to get that lvl i would say u would need 50:50 at least like in a braggot, so doubt modding a kit will get u there, also u need a very strong honey, none of this supermarket value nonsense

I did a beer kit with 1kg of honey and 500g of medium spraymalt, the honey wasnt that obvious just a subtle aftertaste. After a few months in the bottle the honey flavour was really obvious though, the hops had mellowed and allowed the sweetness to come through.

Latest posts

Back