A sad day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
today ive admitted defeat ,, ive binned 40 bottles of a hobble whobble i did ,was my first brew with the peco boiler, something went wrong, hops or sugars stuck to the element and burned, ive waited a couple of months hoping the taste would improve, it has not. its like when you burn peas in a pan, its that bitty,burned, muddy taste you get,
gutted, its a lot of beer to bin, and i still dont know why it happened.:-(
[URL=http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Simbo09/media/20161210_124655_zpshvm6brmu.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s626.photobucket.com/user/Simbo09/media/20161019_220952_zpsr3tuwpgw.jpg.html] [/URL]

Coincidence, I've just done exactly the same thing and poured a batch of bitter down the sink. It tasted ok on the way down but by the end of the glass it had a horrible overly bitter aftertaste. I've been slowly drinking a bottle here and there for 6 months now hoping it might clear itself up and I finally gave up today.

Tbh it's a weight off knowing that I'll never have to touch the stuff again. I've filled a glass with a different beer so let's raise a toast to the next brew!

Hi!
Saw this and thought of you :lol:
It's actually an old photo of officers from the Cats Protection League disposing of several barrels of Boddingtons.

image.jpeg

What a shame bud. This is a real shame but from what I've read it's happening to the best of us. Maybe use a cage for the element on the next brew and see if it improves. Worth testing by chucking a load of water and sugar in and let it boil for an hour and check the results

That's odd, I always get a burned on layer on the bottom of my Ace boiler during a brew but have never noticed any affect on the taste. Though it isn't an exposed element like yours.

Commiserations. I've had three brews now where the element ended up black like that, though I don't think the brews suffered because of it.

I've had an element like that with a brew, I blamed it on the Candi Sugar ! been fine since .
sorry for your loss :-(

:-(
A sad day indeed. I've only had to tip one brew away (a plum Wherry where the addition of fresh plums caused a horrendous wild yeast infection) but I can imagine how much worse it feels after expending the time to bottle it.

Could you take apart a stainless steel sieve and use the mesh to create a guard around the heating element?

I now have a false bottom for it. But if it was sugars then it would still happen. If like to understand why it happened.

I've only ever had one dumper and it was for the exact same reason, burnt element and the beer tasted like cigarette ash :sick:
I never determined the exact cause, but I asked on another forum at the time, and some others had experienced the same thing. Pretty much everyone who had experienced it was while brewing a wheat beer (as I was). I know yours wasn't a wheat, but did you notice if the malt had a lot of flour in it? Also was it a BIAB?

One possibility is that some of the fine grain solids/flour etc is getting through the bag, falling onto the element and being burnt onto it. I noticed when I used to do BIAB there was a lot more "bits" in the boiler, especially when using the malt at the bottom of a sack, or when using a lot of wheat.

Latest posts

Back