Tastes like Mud

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
so today is bottling day for my Hobble Whobble .
ive just racked it in to my bottling bucket with 90g of sugar , and as you do i tasted a sample, it really does taste like mud and sucks all the moisture out your mouth, to say its 'dry' is an understatement .
im not holding out much hope for this but im going to bottle it anyway,
Fingers crossed it will improve with time,
must admit to being little disappointed :-(

OG 1.051 FG 1.005 was looking for 1.012 not sure why its different.

Wow that's a massive drop in my uneducated eyes. More like a Cider.

I've had brews that tasted awful when or shortly after kegging but have turned out really well in the end.

I think you just need to let the yeast do it's work and tidy up the flavors for you.

That is 90% AA which is unusually high, unless you used a Belgian yeast which I'm assuming you didn't.
What was your recipe and mash temp?

That sounds like possible wild yeast infection. It would be very unusual for an English ale strain to go that low.

The other thing your description suggested was tannin extraction, possibly from a high sparge pH or high sparge temperature. That could be another cause of puckering astringent flavours.

mashed @67* sparged @ 80* as per instructions.
this was my kit
HBC Hobble Wobble Mashkit (23lt)
A gorgeous ruby red beer with an unmistakable chocolate toffee flavour. This is balanced with a nice moderate bitterness from the fruity flavour of the hops. Contains all the grain, hops, yeast and whirlfloc tablet required with full instructions. Grain: Maris otter, Crystal malt, Carapils, Chocolate Hops: Fuggles, Styrian Goldings These kits are perfect for those looking to start producing beer using the all grain method. Equipment for...

thnaks for your reply's guys, time will tell if its any good,or drain bound :-?

That sounds like possible wild yeast infection. It would be very unusual for an English ale strain to go that low.

The other thing your description suggested was tannin extraction, possibly from a high sparge pH or high sparge temperature. That could be another cause of puckering astringent flavours.

so would a wyi cause it to ferment that low?

67, should have given you a good balance. Maybe you thermometer is a degree off. Some thermometers are fine around low temps but can be off as the temp rises above 60. You probably just were mashing around 65 to 66. That'll give you the sugars the yeast will eat up. That's the beta amylase zone.
I still think the dirt taste is hop debris floating around. It'll fall off. 80 degree sparge is a tad high. 75 is a safe zone but you're probably ok. Above that, tannins will come out. But that doesn't taste like dirt.

so would a wyi cause it to ferment that low?

Yes, a wild yeast infection could cause it to ferment down to very low gravities. The wild yeast can digest the complex sugars that normal brewers yeast leaves behind. Even if you accidentally mashed at 64°C due to a wonky thermometer I would be very surprised if you got down to 1.005 from 1.051. Wild yeast will also give rise to off flavours. Sometimes these can be subtle or even desirable but also they can taste nasty.

With regards to extracting tannins, I would be less concerned about the temperature, although it can apparently be a factor and more concerned about the pH of the sparge water. Sparging with alkaline water can definitely extract tannins.

What is your water like? Is it very hard? How did you sparge (dunk, batch, fly)?

My money is still on a wild yeast infection but I hope the off flavour does just fade with time.

Latest posts

Back