A very faffy brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antony

Regular.
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all,

I've been super busy today

Okay, so the day started well, mashing my Brown Porter to which I added 500g of cherry smoked malt. Since I wanted plenty of body, it was mashed around 69c. For the first time I tried sparging, using a jug to pour 80c water over the grain bed, I feel something with more of a sprinkler effect is needed to really get this working.

Whilst I was mashing, I made some tweaks to my mansfield bitter sort-of-clone, adding A hop tea boiled for 5-10 mins consisting of 5g progress, 5g fuggles, and 5g EKG. Although the EKG isnt stylistically correct, its improved the flavour a little, and still seems realtively similar to what I wanted. This has given me a 4.5% beer that tastes pretty good.

I now started getting the boil underway for the porter, I used the supplied hops, and a few extra to keep the IBU/GP ratio about right, these were boiled for 40 mins, then the 10 min flavor addition added at flameout. Since I dont chill my beer, this equates to 60 and 20 mins respectively.

During the boil I tried to rescue a Leaky minikeg, however unfortunately It had gone bad, and down the sink it went (I also ended up losing my syphon somewhere!)

Back to the porter, I was trying to drain it, and the tap got jammed, sorting this involved pouring the brew into a FV, fixing the tap, and then pouring back into the boiler to strain through its false bottom. This was majorly faffy, and by the time I'd finished the brew had cooled a goodly way, I hope I dont end up with an infection.

The final task of the day ( after cleaning up some of my mess) was to test my corny system. I've used a fire extinguisher as my co2 supply, and all worked well! although holding the extinguisher upside down (to stop the dip tube picking up liquid co2) was sketchy, I feel a mounting bracket of some sort is in order before I start using the cornies

Anyway, apart from cleaning my boiler, I'm all done now, hopefully I can pitch my yeast tomnight or tomorrow, I'll either go with the S-04 that came with the kit, or Nottingham. I'd bene hoping to use Mangrove Jacks Dark Ale Yeast, but It hasnt arrived yet.

Ciao for now,

Ant

Yeast has been pitched, and the beginnings of a krausen is forming. Hopefully it will be full steam ahead soon. I'm glad there doesnt seem to be any sign of infection yet.

the OG was 1.040 - 1.045 for 23L with the added malt. Its supposed to be around 1.044 for 20l, so I'm quite happy with my efficiency.

Okay, a taste test today, and all seems good. Tasting remarkably nice for beer that has been in the fermenter for but a week!

I'll probably give it another week to ferment out and clear a bit more and then start playing with the cornies!

Sounds like good progress Antony. Do you have a Peco boiler ? if so it could be worth trying this hop strainer, which plugs into the back of your FV:
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hop-strainer-p-83.html

I have something very similar which works a treat, means you can use the tap on the boiler without it getting blocked. This may replace your fales bottom, or it may sit below the false bottom.

I don;t use a false bottom in my Peco boiler, just have the hop strainer and it works well.

Good luck with your brew

Sounds like good progress Antony. Do you have a Peco boiler ? if so it could be worth trying this hop strainer, which plugs into the back of your FV:
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hop-strainer-p-83.html

I have something very similar which works a treat, means you can use the tap on the boiler without it getting blocked. This may replace your fales bottom, or it may sit below the false bottom.

I don;t use a false bottom in my Peco boiler, just have the hop strainer and it works well.

Good luck with your brew

I have a baby burko, with a false bottom and 'ring' that it stands on. This ring is solid steel and has a cut out for where the tap goes. unfortunately I forgot to align this cut out after cleaning it out. meaning the tap was obscured by it.

Is it bad I've just had a pint straight from the FV! mashing at 69 has given it loads of body, I just wish it was a little stronger!

Its not in the keg, I've done the 'fast' method to put a little carbonation in (its a porter, it doesnt need loads), and its now sitting under a few PSI. I'll let you know how its doing in a week :D

Poured some out the corny today, very nice. and I'm quite happy with my carbonation for my first try, a nice level for a porter I think :D

Cant really taste the smoked malt, but It may come through with time. However I'd probably leave it out next time.

Back