Abv of honey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank950

Reaction score
Found a table for working out the ABV of LME
1.5kg (3.3lb) :
3kg (6.6lb) = OG 1.050 = ABV 4.78
I am having no luck though working out what the sugar content or what the abv is for honey.
Looking to add honey to 3kg of LME to achieve around abv 6-7% for a ginger beer.Could someone work this calculation out for me and explain the ratio so i will know for future reference.
Is there much difference in mixing a 20L batch as to a 23L or 25L batch?.

This may not answer your specific questions but the sugars in honey are 95% fermentable. If you want a subtle honey flavour aim for no more than 10% by weight of total fermantable sugars.

Hope this helps a bit.

:cheers:

jonnymorris said:
This may not answer your specific questions but the sugars in honey are 95% fermentable. If you want a subtle honey flavour aim for no more than 10% by weight of total fermantable sugars.

Hope this helps a bit.

:cheers:
Thanks i didn'n know that..i could also pack it up with some brown sugar or spraymalt.Found 500g of soft brown sugar in the cupboard..I want to have my calculations though before i start.

3kg of LME with 454g jar of honey ,550g dark brown sugar and 500g spraymalt should even the fermentables out for an even flavouring and produce a strong abv....if anyone can work out the abv for this mix in 25ltrs please let me know.In the mean time i will look the internet for conversion tables and try to work it out myself.

What yeast are you using? I will depend almost entirely on that.

I'd say you want to be considering the OG vs FG rather than pure alcohol %. Anyone can make rocket fuel, but I assume you want to make something that is drinkable, with a certain "mouthfeel" and a certain flavour profile...

Ceejay said:
What yeast are you using? I will depend almost entirely on that.

I'd say you want to be considering the OG vs FG rather than pure alcohol %. Anyone can make rocket fuel, but I assume you want to make something that is drinkable, with a certain "mouthfeel" and a certain flavour profile...
Nottingham Danstar Ale Yeast..yea strongish and drinkable with flavour
I have though some Champagne yeast,sweetned cider yeast and youngs dried active yeast

alank950 said:
if anyone can work out the abv for this mix in 25ltrs please let me know...
I had a spare minute... Beer Smith suggests you'll get 6.6% ABV with a 25L batch.

i think beer can have up to 30% honey in. any more than that, and malt/honey is classed as braggot, then onto mead (up to 100% honey.)

beersmith assumes 100% sugars will higher the FG whereas they don't, it really does guess, hahah! but you can get a rough idea. :cheers:

jonnymorris said:
alank950 said:
if anyone can work out the abv for this mix in 25ltrs please let me know...
I had a spare minute... Beer Smith suggests you'll get 6.6% ABV with a 25L batch.

I downloaded Beer smith and could not find that info on it anywhere.(will have to take another look).thank you very much..that sounds spot on. :thumb:

Right,just ordered the Simply ginger beer kit and am gonna add 1kg of brew enhancer with 1.5 kg of light LME and a 454g of honey .The kits abv is 3.8 i think so with the malt extract brew enhancer and honey it should be fairly strong around 6% and hopefully taste ok.

Latest posts

Back