add yeast after cold crashing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
http://beersmith.com/blog/2014/10/20/improving-beer-clarity-and-finings-in-depth-part-4/
in two weeks time I plan to do my first cold crash. According to this page above, ill struggle carbing up the beer unless I add more afterwards.
Tbh I really don't want to be spending anymore than one sachet per batch.
Does anyone else add more yeast? Or just prime with less sugar and allow more time for the conditioning phase.
Id like to determine if this is another myth in the dos and don'ts of homebrewing

Cheers!

Not done much cold crashing myself but from my reading on lagering (basically the same as cold crashing but lagering is on a longer time scale) you need to have been doing it for quite a long time (about 2.5 months) to need really need to add more yeast. So you should be fine.

Being interested, I looked through this article.
But then I also looked at the comments underneath.
I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the majority were suggesting that additional yeast pitching is not necessary.

I used to much finnings once and cold crashed to. I was worried about this. So I racked carefully into another bucket. Then swirled up the yeast cake a bit with some water and drew off the top layer. I added a few ml to every bottle with a syringe and it worked fine.

Definitely do not have to add more yeast, unless you crash for a long time (2 months) as said above. I crash every beer for about a week and never add more yeast, if you really want to you can suck up a bit of yeast from the cake whilst you are syphoning to a bottling bucket or whatever, but don't worry about it to be honest.

Being interested, I looked through this article.
But then I also looked at the comments underneath.
I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the majority were suggesting that additional yeast pitching is not necessary.

Think you might have forgot to add the link, terry?

I've never added more yeast. Even with cold crashing there's still enough yeast in the beer to carb the bottles. Generally speaking more yeast should be added if the beer has been left for over 3 months or has been filtered.

The only thing to add to above is be patient with the carb-ing! I always cold crash for 3-4 days before bottling and never add any yeast or disturb the yeast cake, as I want the minimum yeast in the bottle at the end. I've never had a problem with the beer carbonating but sometimes I've had it take a little longer than other times. Keeping it somewhere warm (by which I mean room temperature, not hot!) for the first couple of weeks helps to get the yeast going again, but it will get there in my experience. Kind of stops you drinking the beer too "green" anyway.

great responses chaps, i think ill just do the largering phase, sounds easier and quicker. im thinking of just leaving the primary in the garage over night as im planning on dry hopping without the muslin and just want to make sure yeast and hops are out of suspension before i batch prime. im looking forward to being able to dry hop loose and hopefully no syphon blocking

Latest posts

Back