Added stabilser to my 30 bottle red wine kit - very strong smell - help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine Sykes

Reaction score
I am new to winemaking and have recently started a Wilko 30 bottle Red Wine kit going on the 9th Nov. I didn't want it to ferment out and become too dry so i added the stabilser that came with the kit and the finings last weekend with a look to bottle the wine next weekend. I checked the wine today and it's nice and clear but now all I can smell is an overpowering smell of the stabiliser. Will this smell disappear with time or is there something else I should do before bottling? I am hoping I haven't spoilt my wine. Please can anyone advise?

Stabilizer doesn't stop fermentation it stops yeast multiplying (for wanr of a better description) so it'll still be fermenting slowly and releasing CO2 so I assume you are smelling the stabiliser because of this.
You haven't much choice now just leave it a week and see if it changes.

ok many thanks for your great advice. I will hold back on bottling until the wine stops releasing CO2. I still have the wine in a 5 gallon fermentation vessel. Would you recommend giving it a stir once every day or so or just leave it? Fingers crossed the smell fades as CO2 becomes less.

I have just noticed you posted the question in the introduction forum so I have moved it here so more members will see it and may be able to help.

Just a thought you say it smells of stabiliser could you describe the smell as if it's rotten eggs it's not the stabiliser.

No definitely not rotten eggs. Just tbe smell of the stabiliser. Same smell as whats in the bottle of stsbiliser when you take the lid of and it nearly blows your head off! It takes your breath away for a second or two. Potassium matabisulphite.

I cannot remember anyone ever posting about this so i guess its going to be a case of keep your fingers crossed for a week and see how it goes.

It takes your breath away for a second or two. Potassium matabisulphite.

Was Potassium matabisulphite listed on the sachet as the description below says (as Capmpden tablets) its to stop the wine oxidising not stop a fermentation.

potassium metabisulfite -
added during the bottling process to destroy microorganisms in the wine and prevents moulds and bacteria from growing inside the wine bottle.

Potassium Sorbate = Fermentation Stopper/Wine Stabiliser.

Campden tablets - potassium or sodium metabisulfite

Last edited:
Was Potassium matabisulphite listed on the sachet as the description below says (as Capmpden tablets) its to stop the wine oxidising not stop a fermentation.

potassium metabisulfite -
added during the bottling process to destroy microorganisms in the wine and prevents moulds and bacteria from growing inside the wine bottle.

Potassium Sorbate = Fermentation Stopper/Wine Stabiliser.

Campden tablets - potassium or sodium metabisulfite
Yes sorry Potassium Sorbate.

yes thanks. I've re racked it and bottled today. I think your right, the smell has faded over the last week. Hopefully it will continue to fade in the bottle.

yes will do. I had a glass today whilst bottling and i thought it tasted great. I also checked tbe hydrometer and worked out it was just above 10%. thanks for all your advice.

The stabiliser is usually just potassium sorbate. However some kits include sulphite in it, which would cause a bit of a whiff. This is designed to protect the wine from oxidation during long term storage. Most commercial wine contains sulphite for this reason.

Back