IM HAVING A BAD WINE DAY 🍷😊 HELP!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zara.

Reaction score
Good morning 🌞 I'm new to wine kit making and made my first batch of cabernet sauvignon and sauvignon blanc last month using the kit from wilkos,I have just started making a 30 bottle kit of merlot and 30 Chardonnay ( winehobby brand) I followed the instructions and there in a warm place in a 25 litre fermenting bucket since Saturday, I do keep checking them as they are bubbling out of the airlock and the merlot blew the top off the airlock loads of froth in both so I have removed the airlock cap and put a glass over each lil airlock with the water halfway in the remaining airlock base it's still frothing over and no bubble in the airlock just alot of foam what's goin wrong can anyone advise me I have a hydrometer but I don't know how to read it can anyone help me with that in simple terms xx zara

Nothing has gone wrong. You have a very active fermentation which will calm down over the next few days. A couple of spare airlocks are useful so you can change them quickly,failing that wash and sanitise and put back what you have. A better option is a blow off tube instead....a length of tube going from the top of the vessel into a bottle of sanitiser. All the foam then gets pushed into the bottle .

Hi Zara search the forum how to read a hydrometer or the internet that will help you there.
It looks like you have a vigorous fermentation, just clean it up wash everything like the airlock lid and replace.
Ps make sure everything is sanitised and we do not advocate taking the lid off too much as it can get nasties in but place a piece of clingfilm over the wine while you are cleaning the lid etc, the fermentation will settle down in a day or two

Nothing has gone wrong. You have a very active fermentation which will calm down over the next few days. A couple of spare airlocks are useful so you can change them quickly,failing that wash and sanitise and put back what you have. A better option is a blow off tube instead....a length of tube going from the top of the vessel into a bottle of sanitiser. All the foam then gets pushed into the bottle .
Thanks so much I will add some airlocks to the lid ,any simple advice on how to read my hydrometer please x

Hi Zara search the forum how to read a hydrometer or the internet that will help you there.
It looks like you have a vigorous fermentation, just clean it up wash everything like the airlock lid and replace.
Ps make sure everything is sanitised and we do not advocate taking the lid off too much as it can get nasties in but place a piece of clingfilm over the wine while you are cleaning the lid etc, the fermentation will settle down in a day or two
Thanks so much for replying , i will give everything a good clean replace the airlocks with some fresh new ones x

Hydrometer reading is easy just put enough wort/wine in a trial jar for the Hydrometer to float, when it is in the wort give it a quick spin to remove any air bubbles on it so as not to ghive a false reading then read the level where it floats to.
It is easier to watch a Youtube vid on it it will make it clearer to you.
Good luck with the rest of the ferment it is a learning curve but you will soon get the basics

Hydrometer reading is easy just put enough wort/wine in a trial jar for the Hydrometer to float, when it is in the wort give it a quick spin to remove any air bubbles on it so as not to ghive a false reading then read the level where it floats to.
It is easier to watch a Youtube vid on it it will make it clearer to you.
Good luck with the rest of the ferment it is a learning curve but you will soon get the basics
Thanks lovley x

Thanks chic I I have noted this for next time the fermenting seems to have calmed down but now there is no bubble coming through the airlock,I cleaned and sanitised all the lids and airlock yesterday morning and gave it a good stir,replaced the lids and airlock the temp is 24 and now now bubble at all this is a 7 day/ 30 bottle kit ,it has a nice fizz when I'm stirring it up is it still fermenting even no there is no bubble ? My hydrometer was I. 210 on the blue strip and it's now on 120 sorry I'm new to the whole hydrometers reading lol

Attachments

• IMG_2022-10-03-13-50-55-555.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-03-13-50-55-555.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2022-10-03-13-50-29-332.jpg
    IMG_2022-10-03-13-50-29-332.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
When the wine is vigorously fermenting and foaming you do NOT need an airlock. Simply leave the lid on the fermenter and dont put an air lock on. Let it vent through the hole in the lid and make sure the lid is only loosely on the fermenter. This will immensely slow down the rate of foam and stop it foaming over.

When fermentation dies down you can put the airlock in place again.

This really is a common misconception. When fermentation is vigorously producing foam it is completely antimicrobial and bacteria will not make its way in. Only when fermentation slows down and the foam is no longer being produced can bacteria enter. Even then, it's still relatively antimicrobial.

Contaminated brews are nearly always caused by bacteria in the wine before or after fermentation. Very very rarely if ever will a brew get contaminated with bacteria during fermentation.

I've done several open air fermentations with just a piece of mesh on top to stop flies and stuff entering. Never had an issue you just have to quickly get a lid in place after fermentation ends.

Back