Adding a sight tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt

Brewing without a hat
Reaction score
I want to add a sight tube to my Buffalo boiler. To avoid cutting a hole I was wondering if I could fit a tee piece between the tap and the boiler and fit the sight tube to this. While the tap is closed I cannot see why this wouldn't work. When the tap is open I imagine that the level would not read right but as I do BIAB I don't need to make any measurements while emptying the boiler. Is there any reason this is not a good idea?

What should I do with the top of the tube? I'm assuming it can't be blocked off but does it matter if it's just open?

It will work fine as you say. My last one I put a 15mm end cap on loosely with a small hole drilled in it. On the new setup both sight glasses are open at the top and haven't had a problem.

The first one I used a copper push fitting elbow with 15mm acrylic tube.
Now I have brass John guest fittings and 15mm poly carbonate tube. Both setups have been fine when boiling.

I now need to find the best place to get polycarbonate tube. There are a few places that sell it in 2m lengths but the postage is a bit steep. The Malt Miller sells it but it's quite expensive but not so bad if I add it to a grain order. Any other suggestions?

I have exactly what you need for a sight tube. Its clear plastic tube called VALPAR 15mm external dia and 11.5mm internal dia. It fits into John Guest connectors and other 15mm connectors I also believe its used in the pub industry, I'm using it for a sight tube now on my boiler.

You are welcome to have a piece of this if it will help.

Thanks for the kind offer. I have a load of Valpar 3/8" MDP beer line. It's 9.5mm OD and 6.7mm ID. It's more translucent than clear. Could I use this for the sight tube? I'm never sure if these various plastics are ok at boiling temperatures. I've got a JG fitting for it so all I would need would be a tee, nipple and washer to try it.

Yes you can use it, I agree with your choice of the word translucent, my tube is too, I just couldn't remember the word, You can see the changing colour of the wart during the steep and boil so its certainly clear enough for that.

I'm going to give this a go as I don't have much to lose - as long as the tube doesn't fail and spray boiling wort all over the garage. As the tube isn't carrying boiling wort it's only one end that will be very hot and the JG connector will also provide some insulation. I now need to find the best place for the stainless bits. I know BES sell them but need to avoid the carriage charge unless I can think what else to buy. Perhaps it's time to make an immersion chiller or add a ball valve to something. :hmm:

before you start, have u considered making a small bottom hole in the boiler to feed the sight glass.

what stopped me adding one to my hlt was the useful height after exiting from the pot side 1 cm+ from the bottom to accomodate a SS pressure washer, then adding the height of both an elbow and the fitting to mount the glass, there would be a lot of volume blind below the sight tube bottom.

if your wanting to measure below that level a bottom exit feed while more complicated would allow u to sight measure the whole pot volume and not just the top proportion.

as flow isnt an issue u can use smaller bore fittings 1/4" perhaps to plumb the exit from the pot and step upto the larger sight tube diameter in the fittings u use.

u have probably considered this but i thought it worth mentioning..

Thanks for the tip. I want to avoid making any new holes - it's the thing I'm most likely to make a mess of! I only need to be able to measure volumes such as total water and water at beginning and end of boil so these are usually at least 20L.

rpt said:
Thanks for the tip. I want to avoid making any new holes - it's the thing I'm most likely to make a mess of! I only need to be able to measure volumes such as total water and water at beginning and end of boil so these are usually at least 20L.

You're probably better off making a dip-stick then aren't you? I keep meaning to fashion out out of a stainless steel 'craft' rule that has been knocking around my garage for months... not quick got it done yet though!

DA

Latest posts

Back