Adding hops to kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVFC BREWER

Reaction score
Hiya was jus wondering if you could add hops to kits as i like quite a hoppy pint was wondering if you could add to a kit like woodfordes wherry if so what sort of amounts and how would i do it cheers

yeah you can either dry hop (putting hops in fementer during or after fermentation) or boil up some hops with some water in a saucepan and add tp fermenter before adding yeast. as for amounts it will be depend how hoppy you want it to be. if you are boiling up the hops in a muslin bag in some water then try it with maybe 30 grams, once fermentation is complete you can have a taste and see what its like, then you can always add more flavour and aroma by dry hopping.

I've been adding hops to kits since my 3rd kit last year.

'Dry hopping' really adds to the aroma and flavour without much bittering. I have Saaz & hallertau for lager(y) kits & Cascade for my Ruby Ale.

I take a couple of litres of the beer, heat to boiling point, drop in a sanitised muslin bag with the hops ( & spoons) in and then transfer into the FV. Gets the hops 'working' and sanitises the muslin/hops/spoons before entering the FV.

My Ruby is a particular favourite of mine & my father in law.

Latest posts

Back