Adding Syrup or Treacle to Irish Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tonight I am brewing a Coopers Irish Stout Extract Kit 1.7kg using 500g Barbados Sugar and 500g Extra Dark DME......I was also planning to add a tin 454g of Black Treacle. The shop unfortunately is out of this and I was wondering if I could use any of the following to add a bit more strength body and flavour to the brew. I am mentioning these as they are the only two ingredients remotely suitable for what I am planning. 250ml Notadolce Coffee Syrup or 325g Lyles Squeezy Golden Syrup. My hydrometer is currently out of commission so can I ask approx what my abv should be when using just the barbados sugar and dme? and what it would be if adding the 325g golden syrup or the 250g of coffee syrup.. Thank you look forward to replies.

Tonight I am brewing a Coopers Irish Stout Extract Kit 1.7kg using 500g Barbados Sugar and 500g Extra Dark DME......I was also planning to add a tin 454g of Black Treacle. The shop unfortunately is out of this and I was wondering if I could use any of the following to add a bit more strength body and flavour to the brew. I am mentioning these as they are the only two ingredients remotely suitable for what I am planning. 250ml Notadolce Coffee Syrup or 325g Lyles Squeezy Golden Syrup. My hydrometer is currently out of commission so can I ask approx what my abv should be when using just the barbados sugar and dme? and what it would be if adding the 325g golden syrup or the 250g of coffee syrup.. Thank you look forward to replies.
454g of treacle is way too much. Your recipe will get you to 4% ABV on a good day, with favourable temperatures and a little patience.

Surely the 1.7kg kit 500g extra dark dme and 500g barnados sugar alone would give an abv of over 4%? No?

I have brewed that kit with both ( a long time ago). I agree with Slid, the treacle is very strong and a while tin is too much ( maybe half). The golden syrup I would go with the full amount.

Did you decide on what your additives would be? I only ask as I am considering this kit for my next brew but was thinking to add something to give a more coffee and chocolate flavour, like a moka style.

Very interested to here how yours turns out.

Latest posts

Back