which irish stout and pale ale extract recipe to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am no expert in the field of home brew recipes and will never claim to be. I however have some ingredients available that I would like to tweak a couple of kits I have and would like some advice and input if possible. I plan to make two extract kits 5 gallons {a}Coopers Irish Stout and {b} Mangrove Jack NZ series American Pale Ale. Both 1.7kg extract kits.
I will list options below for each and will take advice and possible ABV suggestions {I would like to achieve somewhere around 5%} I may roughly expect from each recipe. I would appreciate any recipe suggestions only with the ingredients that I currently have which would be a big help rather than suggest I go out and buy something else. I want to utilise what I have to hand right now.

Irish Stout Ingredients: 1 x 1.7kg Coopers Irish Stout Extract Kit...1kg Brown Sugar...500g Dark DME...454g tin of Black Treacle.

Suggestion A. Suggestion B
1.7kg Coopers Irish Stout 1.7kg Coopers Irish Stout
500g DME 500 DME
500g or 750g Brown Sugar 750g or 1kg Brown Sugar
227g Black Treacle 454g Black Treacle

Mangrove Jack NZ Series American Pale Ale Ingredients: 1.7kg Mangrove Jack American Pale Ale Kit...1kg Brown Sugar...100g IH033 hops (which I will use to dry hop) I know nothing about these hops and I got them cheap in a lucky dip from a home brew supplier.

Suggestion
1.7kg Mangrove Jack Kit
1kg Brown Sugar
100g IH033

My main query about this brew is the hop and how much to use it and will it go with the pale ale and maybe what to expect from it. I only use hops in dry hopping so do u recommend I use all 100gs?
As always look forward to replies tyvm

I'm not a kit brewer but there's plenty of scope for tweaking the recipes with fermentables. The brown sugar will probably 'thin' the beer slightly but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'd probably go with the DME and brown sugar. I'm not sure treacle really belongs in an Irish stout.

As for the hops, they sound like they're aiming at being a new lager style noble hop so would probably be better suited to a hop stand at 80C to get some aroma and freshness. At 4-5% alpha acid you could probably use the whole lot in a 23L batch as a late addition and not go overly bitter, or alternatively go 50/50 with a hop stand and dry hop. I'm not averse to experimenting so I reckon you have a few options. In an American pale ale it's not really to style, however fresh hops will definitely improve the beer in my humble opinion. The kits seem to lose a whole lot of hop freshness somewhere in the process.

👍👍

From Malt Miller

IH033 - T90 Pellets 100g​

An addictive finish of lemon/lime zest, fresh melon, sweet hay and wildflowers, all capped by a cinnamon spice that cleanses your palate and lures you back for more

Description​

AROMA SPECIFICATION
Tangy fresh fruit and the feeling of a summer meadow near a cold mountain stream
^this sounds bloody incredible haha

FLAVOUR
An addictive finish of lemon/lime zest, fresh melon, sweet hay and wildflowers, all capped by a cinnamon spice that cleanses your palate and lures you back for more
New US hop from Indie Hops – Sneak Preview Release
Magical, exhilarating and festive, IH033 is the second new cultivar we’ve advanced to the final commercial trial phase of our hop development efforts. The first (Strata®) was destined for a lead role in IPAs and DIPAs. IH033 is destined for lead roles as well, but at the opposite end of the hop and beer spectrum.
Global brewing is already well served with classic lager hops such as Hallertauer m.f., Hersbrucker, and Czech Saaz. We advanced IH033 because it brings more fruit and floral character while dialing back a bit on the grassy/spicy character of the classics. And, IH033 combines with classic lager hops very nicely, giving brewers more range in their lager brewing ingredients quiver.
While the current trend of dry hopping lager beer with high alpha, high oil IPA hops does bring some popular flavours to the table, the hops tend to hijack the beer and result in a light IPA. That’s not a bad thing!…but with a hop like IH033 the beloved “beer” flavour from luscious pilsner malt and a clean lager fermentation is there to enjoy, along with a complimentary finish of fruity/floral hop flavours that craft beer enthusiasts have been steadily leaning toward.
Expect to see this hop gain popularity in use throughout 2020 and 2021, with rumours currently doing the rounds that it will be featured by a popular brewery in Cheltenham in their new Pils.
Be sure to let us know how your brews go with this new variety.
Alpha Acids range- Beta Acids range- Total Oil range-
4.0-5.0%
6.0-7.0%
1.8-2.0ml/100g of dry hop material

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back