Adnams Ease Up Recipe - conversion to 23L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all.
I sent a speculative email to Adnams recently, asking if they would mind sharing their Ease Up recipe.. well.. this turned up in my email this morning!
I have tried to scale this down to a 23L batch size, based on a total grain bill of 5kg. I have then gone through the GetErBrewed customer grain kit builder, and tried to match what I can. It'll be a month or so until I have a go at brewing this - but thought I would share here. More than happy for anyone to pick apart at my conversion, or grain choices!
https://share.brewfather.app/z5gVuA703nSCUX
1680607887650.png

1680607912025.png

It might help you in future to know that Adnams use Simpsons Malts if you want to get closer to the real thing, and their house yeast has a very distinctive taste from it being a dual strain and is almost Belgian in flavour and spice. There are few good recent YouTube videos on this subject that could help you to get a home brew version perfect.

I've heard on here that it's possible to build a yeast starter from the end of a mini keg of Ghost Ship. Might be able to do it with an Ease Up mini keg too since it's unfiltered.

Watch the malt miller video on making ghost ship. They used two s-04 and one lallemand farmhouse pitched when the s-04 had fermented to 1.020. If you bottle with some cbc-1 the phenolic should not get too overpowering.

Good morning all.
I sent a speculative email to Adnams recently, asking if they would mind sharing their Ease Up recipe.. well.. this turned up in my email this morning!
I have tried to scale this down to a 23L batch size, based on a total grain bill of 5kg. I have then gone through the GetErBrewed customer grain kit builder, and tried to match what I can. It'll be a month or so until I have a go at brewing this - but thought I would share here. More than happy for anyone to pick apart at my conversion, or grain choices!
https://share.brewfather.app/z5gVuA703nSCUXView attachment 83928
View attachment 83929
Given that you're trying to clone a beer from East Anglia, home to arguably the best malting barley in the world, it seems a little...eccentric...to use German base malt and caramalt rather than proper crystal.

Whilst Verdant is the dry yeast of choice for a lot of hoppy stuff, it's not a great match to traditional British strains, it's a bit ...flamboyant... and doesn't have enough attenuation. I'd be tempted to start with US-05 - at least you'll get the attenuation and I don't recall huge amounts of yeast character, although it's been a long time since I've had it. Or if you can harvest from a minicask or something.

This random Facebook page suggests 45 IBU but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Just generally, it's essentially impossible to truly scale recipes down as there's some things that just don't really scale properly, and so much depends on nuances of the kit that's used. It looks like you're assuming 80% efficiency on your system, I can't comment on that but I might be tempted to just add a little more grain and then liquor back if necessary. And hop utilisation is really different between commercial and homebrew systems, it's very hard to get it right first time so again I might go a little higher.

The complex hop bill is due to their experience with their beer made just with Mosaic. They built the entire brand around the name of the hop, the first batch went really well, they wanted to brew lots more - but couldn't get hold of any Mosaic hops. Big oops. I guess at least this way if they haven't got one variety of hops, it won't make too much difference.

I've heard on here that it's possible to build a yeast starter from the end of a mini keg of Ghost Ship. Might be able to do it with an Ease Up mini keg too since it's unfiltered.
You could try that but one of the issues with the Adnams yeast is it is two strains, Adnams work hard to keep them in balance for each beer. Not sure how you would be able to ensure one didn't over power the other at home from a bit of dregs.

Back