Advice for mash tun ...2 sizes available

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonymartin935

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to all grain brewing and plan to use the thermopot mash tun , a boiler / hlt and 2 x 30l fermenters (with temp controlled fridge fermentation chamber as previously).

My question , I was about to buy the NEW 50l mash tun Euro135 delivered (no tap no nothing ..some work to be done with drilling etc) and a 70l boiler with batches in the 30-50l range .

I have seen a used 80l thermopot mash tun with tap , temp guage and recirc camlock on the lid for 110Euro ......would I be silly to buy the 80l mash tun if I do not see the need for such large batches and the bigger inconvenience of the dimensions of this larger tun . Not sure what to do as it is modified already with tap etc whilst the new Tun 50l with mods done will possibly cost me Euro 165-190 all in with tap etc .

Also the dead space in tun but don´t that is a big deal ...is it ?

What is best choice ...the kettle will still be 70l .

Many thanks for any input on this trivial decision .

Toni

would I be silly to buy the 80l mash tun if I do not see the need for such large batches and the bigger inconvenience of the dimensions of this larger tun
I think you've answered your own question there!
Also the dead space in tun but don´t that is a big deal ...is it ?
Dead space isn't a problem.

The only thing that might impact the beer might be the dimensions of the grain bed. If the larger mash tun (assuming it is a larger width than the other one) will end up with a shallower-but-wider mash bed. If you sparge, a shallower grain bed will have less distance/time for the sparge water to rinse extra sugars from the grain, and potentially lead to a sightly lower OG. Whether this is true in practise or not, I don't honestly know, but I imagine it's probably negligible anyway.

Thanks for the reply ..looking at the dims the 50l is 45cm x 45cm and 80l 55cm x 50cm ..doesnt seem like much...also the 2nd hand 80l also comes with a dedicated false bottom which the new 50l doesn´t include either .....you know maybe I should buy the 80l and it´s cheaper to boot ...a big pot that is

Can anyone else comment on the min grain bill viable for this 80l tun . as to how it may impact smaller batches ? Many thanks in advance ...also any comments on the camlocks are they a popular idea ?

You've done the right thing.

I'd always have a tun equal or bigger than my kettle as it's the limiting factor when you want to either want to make stronger beers, or you just don't want to bother sparging (put all the water in the mash tun, and a bit more grain to make up for the loss of efficiency).

Latest posts

Back