Advice on new kettle/system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all. Been given the thumbs up by wife to step up my brewing. Currently do 2 gallon BIAB on the kitchen hob. Want to go a bit bigger but need a little advice on what to buy based on a few factors.

She said shes not bothered about me using kitchen, so could get a 33l pot with tap etc but not sure fancy doing BIAB in that, and also the size of boiling water in kitchen with 2 five year olds scares me. However I see the benefit long term of this. Would you recommend maybe a burner and stand?

Option 2 is the ACE from http://www.elyacatering.co.uk/p/9063293/beer-mash-tun-30l-.html for 100quid. Means can be in garage or utility room.

Option 3 is the 40l buffalo from nisbetts for 80quid which I'd have to mod the tap i preasume? Would i also need a false bottom for this? My other worry is the rolling boil, which i presume wouldn't be a worry with the ACE system?

Option 4 is a stainless steel electric stock pot from homebrew shop
-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/30-ltr-electric-boiler-with-Tap-Hop-Strainer-and-Thermometer.html anyone see any advantage of this over the previous 2?

I plan on doing 20+l batches, but like the idea that whatever I buy will last both for what I plan on doing now, but also when I eventually move into doing brewing more seriously. Will the ACE be any use after I stop BIAB for instance? Is there a boil issue with the buffalo?

Your help as ever is greatly appreciated.

imho a stock pot based build will give you the most flexibility, buy direct from the ebay.fr germen suppliers for a bargain price and 2-3day delivery delay after payment. search ebay.fr for " marmite innox"

I would suggest a 50l pot too providing you with a very comfortable headroom for the days you oversparge, and the capacity to brew a bit extra if the mood takes you. boiling close to the volume limit can be a real pita, well worth the extra tenner for that larger pot size imho

A diy build is very easy with the right tools as long as you can wire a plug and drill a hole.. invest in qmax punches for the tap,element holes, you may be able to borrow them from a friendly local brewer?? ( @ circa £10 each you will probably need 2 x, a 20mm for 1/2" bsp sized breaches and the other size will depend on your element choice)

I wouldnt go gas myself, you would need more heat input to counter the wind or invest in some shrouding, with common sense running 2 x upto 3kw elements over suitably rated (13a+) extension cables to the patio/brewery is a very do-able ;)

elements can cost as much as you want to spend ;) but ex budget kettle elements at circa £5-6 each do work ;) tho they will require some sort of backing/shrouding to cover the exposed electrics ;)

Regrdless of advice your probably best going with what your gut tells you (if anything) as thats probably what you want ;)

If I were you I'd make a list of each and weigh up the benefit/cost for what works for you.

I've got a 40l Buffalo with a 2 piece tap and bazooka that I use for BIAB. Holds a rolling boil (temperature probe is moved from the base) fine for std 23l brew. I use a hop spider if I use pellets as they block the bazooka but leaf fine. It did cut out the once when the element burnt (had a floury mash that I think settled and burnt on element as I brought to boil) but I just scraped with the plastic paddle which I tend to do about 10min after gets to boil as a habit and not done since. Can get made to measure bag and easier to clean than a kettle element. Been a few on the forum for sale recently ready to go.

I'd love a grainfather tho!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back