Advice on trellis for hop plants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzie

Reaction score
My two hop plants have spent the winter in my greenhouse and both have started growing - one is now over 1.2m high. I want to plant one on my allotment asap but there is a height restriction of 8'. I am making a frame 80cm wide by 2m high with 5 runs of jute cord. I have read that trying to train the hops to grow horizontally is time consuming so I am thinking of making the next section go from 2 m to 2.3m so there is still some change in height. The horizontal section would be 80cms wide and 2.4m in length with the possibility of joining on to another frame which I am thinking of building. My questions are - is 80cms wide enough to take up to 5 bines and how much is lack of height going to hinder their growth ? thanks G

There are dwarf varieties of hops, which would be more suitable due t height restrictions and it is difficult to train a hop and a lot of other plants to grow horizontally. As their roots grow in a lateral direction your width of the bed isnt wide enough for more than a couple.Even onewould be all right because you can layer the bines to take up the 800 ml. Are the two hop plants you have the same variety? Beware of posums, they love the growing shoots of hops, or the growing shoots of anything.

I grew goldings and sterlings for many years using an unused clothes line. Having them at eye level made harvesting pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back