Advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottler

Regular.
Reaction score
Ive had the coopers english bitter, with 1 kg brew enhancer, and 500gms light dme on the go for about 2 1/2 weeks and its been stuck at 1020, OG was around 1050. Its been stuck for over a week, and ive gave it a stir and stuck on the heat belt for longer periods but no change. Last night i gave it another stir and added rehydrated nottingham yeast but no change when i checked this evening.I have just bought yeast nutrient for future use, but would it be worthwhile adding it to this brew? Any help welcome guys.

You've tried everything, so it sounds like it's done. Sometimes you just get a high FG.

If the yeast have packed up the job, I doubt nutrient will help. :hmm:

Go easy on the priming sugar, just in case.

You might want to give it 24hrs for the new yeast to have a chance, assuming that was the problem.

Thanks guys, i'll give it another 24 hrs. I never bottled at 1020 but have never dumped a beer either :wha: .

No, it smells of vinegar!! my first infection and a costly one, bad blow to confidence , will dump it tomorrow :(

Careful!!! Is it actually vinegar you're smelling, not just the CO2 forming carbonic acid in your nostrils?

Take a sample out and let it stand a minute or three then give it the whiff/taste tests before you do anything rash!

:thumb:

calumscott said:
Careful!!! Is it actually vinegar you're smelling, not just the CO2 forming carbonic acid in your nostrils?

Take a sample out and let it stand a minute or three then give it the whiff/taste tests before you do anything rash!

:thumb:
Thanks calum, did what you said, even tried it with the wife, she says a beery smell, so i will wait and hope for another wee while. :thumb:

Yeah, give it a little while longer, if it's cool warm it up a bit...

...if it still doesn't budge, use the calculators to put together half a litre of syrup of some kind, spraymalt would be best, to bash your gravity up a few points then see what happens, it might be enough to get things going again to take it lower.

Otherwise it'll come back down to where it was and you can have confidence that you won't end up over carbonating your bottles. Still go a little lighter on your priming than you normally would. Just in case...

calumscott said:
Yeah, give it a little while longer, if it's cool warm it up a bit...

...if it still doesn't budge, use the calculators to put together half a litre of syrup of some kind, spraymalt would be best, to bash your gravity up a few points then see what happens, it might be enough to get things going again to take it lower.

Otherwise it'll come back down to where it was and you can have confidence that you won't end up over carbonating your bottles. Still go a little lighter on your priming than you normally would. Just in case...
I added some sugar and things are happening,... thanks a million callum :thumb:

Back