Advice single hop ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Hi just looking advice on a extract recipe never really done up my own recipe before so any tips or advice much appreciated

21ltr batch

3.5kg extra light dme

Steeping grains 65℃ 40 min
Carapils - 0.350g
Caramalt 25ebc - 0.250g
Cara blonde 20ebc - 0.350g

25ltr boil
60min boil
Hop additions
2.5g Galaxy 14.5 aa 60min
30g Galaxy 14.5 aa 30min
50g Galaxy 14.5 aa 0 min
60g Galaxy 14.5 aa dry hopped in secondry for week

Whirfloc 10min

White lab California ale v yeast

Hi just looking advice on a extract recipe never really done up my own recipe before so any tips or advice much appreciated

21ltr batch

3.5kg extra light dme

Steeping grains 65℃ 40 min
Carapils - 0.350g
Caramalt 25ebc - 0.250g
Cara blonde 20ebc - 0.350g

25ltr boil
60min boil
Hop additions
2.5g Galaxy 14.5 aa 60min
30g Galaxy 14.5 aa 30min
50g Galaxy 14.5 aa 0 min
60g Galaxy 14.5 aa dry hopped in secondry for week

Whirfloc 10min

White lab California ale v yeast

Steep your grains for 30 mins.
Not done an extract brew that large. Run it through the recipe builder if you have not already done so if you are unsure:thumb:

I'd do away with the 30min addition as its neither really a bittering or flavour addition.
You'd get more flavour if you moved this to 10 or 5 mins, with a small adjustment to the 60min addition to keep the bitterness the same.
:cheers:

Not sure if 30 mins hop addition is a bit no man's land between bittering and flavour/aroma late additions.

Personally would do:
15g at 60mins
20g at 15 mins
47.5g (or 50g if got enough) at 0 mins
60g dry hop

Still gets you to the same 66-67 ibus which is good for ipa.

Should be good though.

I'd do away with the 30min addition as its neither really a bittering or flavour addition.
You'd get more flavour if you moved this to 10 or 5 mins, with a small adjustment to the 60min addition to keep the bitterness the same.

So if I move it to 10 and still keep the 0 one and add a few more hops to the 60 min should that be fine was confused in the recipe creator when picking steeping grains was so many different one couldn't find ones I have exactly

Not sure if 30 mins hop addition is a bit no man's land between bittering and flavour/aroma late additions.

Personally would do:
15g at 60mins
20g at 15 mins
47.5g (or 50g if got enough) at 0 mins
60g dry hop

Still gets you to the same 66-67 ibus which is good for ipa.

Should be good though.
I couldn't get galaxy leaf as they where sold out with the pellets would you need add more do you think

So if I move it to 10 and still keep the 0 one and add a few more hops to the 60 min should that be fine was confused in the recipe creator when picking steeping grains was so many different one couldn't find ones I have exactly

It will be fine either way :thumb: I just think you'll get more bang for your hop buck with the later addition.
What software are you using? What's your predicted OG and IBUs?
You'll get slightly better utilisation with pellets rather than leaf, most software takes this into account I think.

It will be fine either way :thumb: I just think you'll get more bang for your hop buck with the later addition.
What software are you using? What's your predicted OG and IBUs?
You'll get slightly better utilisation with pellets rather than leaf, most software takes this into account I think.
Brewers friend.. og coming out as 1.063 and ibu is 45 changing hop additions to
15g 60min
30g 10min
50g 0min
60g dry hop
Are the steeping grains okay I chose and quantities don't really understand much about that and would flaked wheat add anything as I have some of it left from other recipe

I had a really great single galaxy pale with the equivalent of
10g at 60mins
30g at 10mins
30g at 5mins
30g at flame out/20min hopstand/whirlpool.

I didn't dry hop that batch but obviously you have more hops at your disposal than I did at the time so depends how much aroma you want.

Enjoy!

I had a really great single galaxy pale with the equivalent of
10g at 60mins
30g at 10mins
30g at 5mins
30g at flame out/20min hopstand/whirlpool.

I didn't dry hop that batch but obviously you have more hops at your disposal than I did at the time so depends how much aroma you want.

Enjoy!
Do you think maybe instead of the 50g 0min addition break it down into 25g 5min and 25g 0min

Brewers friend.. og coming out as 1.063 and ibu is 45 changing hop additions to
15g 60min
30g 10min
50g 0min
60g dry hop
Are the steeping grains okay I chose and quantities don't really understand much about that and would flaked wheat add anything as I have some of it left from other recipe

the hop schedule looks good to me :thumb:

Personally for a first brew I'd get rid of one of the cara malts as you've got quite a lot and they are all similar, you could add more next time if you think the brew needs it.

Personally for a first brew I'd get rid of one of the cara malts as you've got quite a lot and they are all similar, you could add more next time if you think the brew needs it.
I don't really understand the grains to well.just know that them ones improve body mouth feel and head retention don't really know how to pick grain and quantities so any help is much appreciated

I don't really understand the grains to well.just know that them ones improve body mouth feel and head retention don't really know how to pick grain and quantities so any help is much appreciated

Yep they do but I think usually max recommended % total of these would be 10% of the grist.
According to Beer Engine you've got 21% by weight and 12% by extract.
It may turn out great but for a first brew I'd use a bit less.
You could add a bit of the wheat instead if you are worried about head retention, but you might get a bit of haze

Yep they do but I think usually max recommended % total of these would be 10% of the grist.
According to Beer Engine you've got 21% by weight and 12% by extract.
It may turn out great but for a first brew I'd use a bit less.
You could add a bit of the wheat instead if you are worried about head retention, but you might get a bit of haze

So I should just take out one of the grains or even half the measurements of them all to bring it down to about 10%

You could do - in all honesty I did a recipe with the 10,5, 0 additions and it worked well which is why it's my default hop schedule.

Galaxy seems to get great reviews everywhere so you should have a great beer whatever you do

Each to everyones own taste.
I quite like Citra hops, but my LHBS had none so I came out with Cascade. (pellet)

I did a 25l brew with a 60 miniute boil

40g at Boil
40g at 15 minutes
40g at 80 degree flame-out for 20 minutes
20g dry hop at day 10 for 4 days.

It was a lovelly brew, maybe consider taming the bitterness by reducing the boil hops to 25-30g

So I should just take out one of the grains or even half the measurements of them all to bring it down to about 10%

Either of those options would be OK. Go for it and adjust next time if needs be. You keep learning with every brew. Let us know how it turns out.

Back